This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

Pump not always running for preinfusion

Hi all,
Last weekend I increased the secondary pressure from the factory setting by 1/4 turn. Since then the pump did not run to fill the grouphead on 9 of 10 espresso pulls. The pump consistently runs to flush the group and during this flush it runs longer than it used to. I will try changing the pressure back to the factory setting tonight. Any suggestions?

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

Comments

• Michael Foglietta post=13679 wrote: I increased the secondary pressure

Do you mean the Ceme p-stat for pre-infusion pressure?
    Michael Foglietta post=13679 wrote: from the factory setting by 1/4 turn.

Do you mean counter clockwise?
    Michael Foglietta post=13679 wrote: Since then the pump did not run to fill the grouphead on 9 of 10 espresso pulls.

Sounds like you may have been turning clockwise. So it's good to know for sure.
  • Hi Frans. Thank you for responding.

I am referring to the Ceme p-stat and the direction was counter-clockwise to increase preinfusio pressure. The direction always seems backwards, which makes me stop to think.

This evening I returned the p-stat setting to the factory preset by turning 1/4 turn clockwise. Two espresso shots were then pulled. The pump worked properly for the first but not for the second.

• hi michael

sorry for the delay, ill read through right now and reply in a couple of minutes

reiss.
  • please confirm that you moved the centre adjustment screw and not the screw slightly off-centre
  • Hi Reiss. It is the centre screw (covered by the dust cap) to which I am referring.

• oh well, the secondary pressure switch must be defective in some way then. i'll send you another on DHL Express. can you please confirm by email that you want it sent to the same address as we sent the machine to.
  • I'm having an issue that is very much like this:

After turning the secondary pressostat counterclockwise 1/4 of a turn to
    increase the preinfusion pressure all seemed well until the next day when the pump
    did not engage when pulling the lever down.
    When flushing the group the pump does come on, but only after a small delay. Not like before.

When I reopened the machine I noticed that there are drips of water coming out of the Ceme pressostat!
    I turned it clockwise to its previous setting, but it still leaks a drop of water every 10-15 s :unsure:

Did I break something?

PS I post this here for now, because the forum is very helpful in getting to know the Londinium, but
    is it the right way of getting 'official' customer support?
  • hi jeroen

yes, this is the best place to post everything

i will send you a replacement pressure switch on DHL Express later today, if you can just confirm that you want me to use the same address, telephone, email details as i used for your machine delivery - if not please email me rather than post private information here

my guess is the Ceme pressure switch was defective in some way, but please be careful when turning the pressure adjustment screw as it is only a small brass adjustment screw, not a structural fastening

kind regards

reiss.
  • Thanks for the quick reply!
    My address etc. is still the same.

The screw is quite small indeed, but can you get it to leak by turning it with a screwdriver for half a turn?
    I would hate to destroy another one by making the same mistakes...

No to mention making things worse when replacing it. :ohmy:
  • all I'm saying is to treat it delicately - i have no idea how it has been treated so it is only a comment which may or may not be relevant

for example, dont push down on the screw with excessive force - treat it as you would if you were working on a mechanical watch mechanism

it is most likely that you haven't done anything wrong at all - components can and do fail

best

reiss.
  • The replacement has arrived today. (Well, actually it was delivered at my neighbours to their housekeeper on wednesday while they were on holidays, so I didn't get the package until this morning)

A few questions:
    * Can I just carefully unscrew the old Ceme and replace it with the new one or do I need to do something extra to keep the threads watertight?
    * Is the new pressureswitch adjusted correctly or do I need a portafilter with a pressure gauge?

The old switch, you can just see the stains caused by the drips coming out of it.

Attached files

• hi jeroen

yes, it should be supplied set at the correct pressure

you should not need any thread sealant; the important thing is to grip the copper pipe tightly to support it before you put a wrench on the nut, otherwise the copper pipe will bend in ways you dont really want it to

if you need help feel free to FaceTime me over the weekend, I'm in GMT/UTC+12hrs
  • Succes! :woohoo:

Thank you!
    I carefully unscrewed the old one and installed the new pressure switch.
    After warming up flushing the group immediately triggered the pump, which did not happen with the defective
    switch. Good sign :) I did have a little bit of water leaking from the thread, probably because I didn't tighten it enough
    so I gave it another half turn and it is ok now.
    Waiting another half an hour to warm the group I tried pulling a shot and again the pump triggered immediately
    for preinfusion!
    Probably just the relief, but the first cup was excellent :P

Again thanks for promptly sending the replacement and the quick help.
    I'm very happy having the luxury of your friendly service and top quality!

Old Ceme pressure switch removed...

... new one installed and first cup enjoyed!
  • hi jeroen

thank you for taking the time to report back

kind regards

reiss