This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

Pump run time

The pump run time after I heat a cup from the water tap feels longer than I would expect. It runs for 35-40 seconds after a 2 oz flush from the tap. Is this normal?
Watching the water level in the tank and it feels like it's sucking it down very slowly.
I removed and reinserted the water tank in case it wasn't seated correctly but there was no change

Comments

• hi yaseen

the only explanation would be that it has drawn some air into the line

keep an eye on it over the weekend and see if the issue remains or comes right

I'm assuming it filled from empty (a much larger volume of water) with no issue - one time out (alarm), turn off, turn on, filling completed

kind regards

reiss.
  • Reiss. During initial fill the pump timed out 4-5 times before it completed. I thought that was unusual as believe Frans video showed one shutoff, but thought the rest may have been edited out.
  • does the issue occur for both

1. when you allow water out by pulling down the lever

AND

2. when you allow water out by opening the hot water tap

or only (2) above
  • Only 2 (when I draw water from tap).

When I pull lever it's on very briefly (a few seconds)
  • for the same volume of water drawn off? - we need to be measuring like for like.
  • I turned the machine back in to record.
    Yes, when I do a quick flush (which is roughly same volume as preheat from hot water tap) or pull a shot the pump runs very briefly.
    This behavior only seems to be occurring when it refills the boiler.
  • Here is the comparison between lever flush and tap

• ok, so my guess is there is a tiny speck of grit in the inlet solenoid - it is not a pump issue

i agree that its rather disappointing on a brand new out of the box machine, but we can address that via email

the via tutorial for taking the inlet solenoid apart is here;

https://londiniumespresso.com/forum?view=topic&catid=27&id=247

you will need to be logged in to access it

i would be most grateful if you are able to photograph the speck of grit when you find it, perhaps photographed on a ruler so we can show how tiny it is - you will be shocked at how the smallest piece of grit will restrict the flow as you are seeing

reiss.
  • Reiss. Sounds good. I'll take it apart and report back what I find. I did notice a lot of grit when I flushed the hot water tap first few times. Not sure if this shows it clearly, but attached is a picture (this was after 3rd flush from tap)
  • well i dont think its good, its really disappointing for you and embarrassing for me

i am around if you wish to contact me on FaceTime

that said, when you see how small the piece of grit is you will be surprised - i am expecting something of around 1mm so be sure to do the job in strong lighting - probably a job best done in the daylight

quite separate from your issue is the image of the muck you have photographed above - none of that is the cause of your problems as that is coming from the fabrication of the boiler and is 'downstream' of the inlet solenoid, so even if some had worked its way upstream from the boiler back to the inlet solenoid as soon as the pump was turned on it would be washed back downstream to the boiler

every machine we send out will have muck in it as you show above - you might expect to pull about 7 litres through before you flush out every speck
  • Wala, problem solved!
    If my biggest problem in life today is a clogged solenoid on my brand new LR, then I have to say I'm pretty blessed, so yes, it is all good :)

Now if I was unable to drink me espresso tomorrow morning, that would be a different story :)

• thanks for reporting back in, its decent of you. will sort something out for you via email. reiss.
  • Happy to report that without any effort or fuss, I just pulled the three best shots I've ever had. So smooth and so sweet.
  • That's the way! Congratulations.
  • Thanks! I also wanted to follow up with additional info (so this can be useful for others). The screen in the solenoid did have grit in it, a couple of very small strands. I couldn't see what was in the body but I blew into into to clear obstructions inside a couple times and rinsed it through with water. I couldn't really retain any to take a picture given they were so small (as Reiss predicted)

I've worked with solenoids before, easiest way to remove this one is not to unplug the wires but to remove first the flat silver clip that is in top of the black box (clip the edge with a screwdriver). Then slide it off the sliver rod. This will give you more leverage and something to grab on as you unscrew the two fittings (otherwise the soft copper tubes will twist instead)

Once removed, you will need a vise to continue to dissasemble the solenoid (I work on my own cars so am well equipped).

Once assembling, be sure to retighten the ends with the copper washers very well otherwise they will leak (my inlet valve leaked the first try and I had to remove and retighten)