This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

Brew Water Smell

Good Morning All

I got my L-R on Monday, set it up, and so far so good. I have been getting fairly good (not superb, just good) fairly consistent shots. There was a steep learning curve coming from a Sage DTP, and using the 58mm filter is very different, and much less forgiving, and the shot quality I feel is purely down to my technique.

However, when I pull some brew water through the grouphead into a cup, either to clear the screen or warm the cup or whatever, it has an odd smell, and I'm not sure what this could be. Has anyone else found this?

I use VOLVIC bottled water excusively (and have done since the machine was new on Monday), and the smell is NOT present when drawing boiler water into a cup from the tap.

Its not a huge smell, but certainly there. Im not very good at describing smells, but the closest I can think is corrugated cardboard or 'newness'?

It doesn't seem to affect the cup, but as I don't have anything to compare it to I wouldn't know.

Thanks in advance

GP

Comments

• hi gregg

thanks for posting. I'm afraid I'm not very good at replying to these sorts of questions without causing offence, but i will try

i haven't noticed that before with a new machine myself, but i dont doubt that it is possible

its difficult to quantify such things, so lets start with what can be quantified and perhaps once that is addressed your issue will also be resolved

it is quite common for a degree of grit and muck from the fabrication of the boiler to wash out when the machine is new

some of you will be reading this and be going, oh you'd think they'd rinse them at the factory wouldn't you?

we do of course, and the majority of it is removed as a result, but it takes quite a lot of time and quite a lot of water to get every last piece of grit out of a new machine

a good test is to pull water from the hot water tap into a white porcelain coffee cup and then inspect it in the sunlight, or a strong artificial light. if it is a brand new machine that you have just turned on for the first time i can almost guarantee that there will be bits of grit and muck in there. keep drawing water through until no more grit appears in the cup. repeat for the lever group, although this obviously takes a bit more time as you have to wait between pulls for the system to re-pressurise. when you have no bits of muck and grit in the white porcelain cup you placed under the group you are good to go.

dont be surprised if you wash through up to 7 litres before it is completely clear.

now loop back and perform your taint/smell/odour test. with any luck ill will have significantly reduced. if not the cure is to get busy and use the machine. it will go with use - perhaps even leave it on continuously for 48 hours so the heat can get into everything and then with use the water will carry any taint away

that's the best i can offer I'm afraid; it certainly isn't anything to worry about

kind regards

reiss.
  • ps - the londinium distribution tool will cure all ills in terms of shot quality. they are ready, waiting to be moved. i have just had notice that the funnels are ready today and they are being moved to the same location as the distribution today. on tuesday we will repack and get them heading to birmingham, so we should have them available for purchase this time next week.
  • Thanks for the reply Reiss.

I'll stick with it then see how it goes. I am getting the very small particles in the tapped water, but as you say I'm sure that over time these will all disappear.

I am interested in the Distribution Tool, when you have them ready to sell and added to the website I will probably place an order. I'd like to get a 35ums screen and a 2-hole steam tip as well.

Most of my shots are something like your first shot in this video. They taste ok but I think with the distribution tool they will taste better.

Thanks

GP
  • Greg,
    it was the same with my machine, smelled a bit like "eau de factory" and the water from the group also looked a bit off-colour. Took a few litres to get it out, it's been fine since.
    Depending on how you prepare your puck, some muck might also be sitting in the group just above the shower screen, but that smell will be different to the one described above.
  • Matthias Jakubek post=13523 wrote: the water from the group also looked a bit off-colour. Took a few litres to get it out, it's been fine since.
    Same here.

I needed to do a number of long flushes of hot water from the 'tea water' tap on the machine also. Was no hurry since I almost never use that water for anything besides heating the heat exchanger (hardly ever use the steam wand).