This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

Fitting L-R top panel with water tank in situ.

Please forgive me if this is too trivial or too obvious.

As the L-R now provides the option to adjust pre-infusion pressure, via the Ceme pressure stat, it is perhaps more likely that you will need to remove the top panel. So it follows that the top panel will need to be re-fitted more often.

In my experience with both the L1 (2016) and the L-R, fitting the top panel can be a bit of a PITA.
The inward turned flanges of the top panel need to locate inside the tank carrier and the plastic tank then locates within the top panel aperture. There is not a lot of clearance in either case and given that the top panel itself firmly locates to the other panels with four fixing pins and spring clips, there is not much wriggle room. I think I've read that it is advisable to first remove the tank then fit the top panel and then replace tank. However the tank isn't the easiest thing to get hold of and is rarely anywhere near empty.

So I prefer to leave my tank in situ. It was obvious from the get go that the top panel refit would require me to use some sort of guide or separator to aid the process. Initially I used the blade of a table knife which I inserted between tank and lid flange. It helped but with four wobbly edges of the tank to prevent from getting trapped under the flange, it was still a fiddle. Hence I now employ four table knives as per the video below. It maybe sounds a bit ridiculous or unnecessary but it gets my top panel on without too much fuss.

Vimeo

Comments

• That's very smart and simple!

• Thanks for posting that Frans.
  • Neat. I must try that.
    Matt
  • Maybe we need a set of four of these to complete the Londinium espresso system? :whistle:

• The knives trick worked perfectly for me this morning. Thanks for posting!
    On the top-removal side of things; I had a bit of difficulty lifting the top and solved that
    by using plastic bicycle tire-levers. I thought it might be a useful trick to post here...

• Good trick!

I greased the slip/lock parts with the same grease that came with the machine and that makes it much easier to take off the top with my fingers and it also slides into the 'locks' easily.