This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

Londinium R - standard 18inch cabinet

Looking to confirm do the Londinium R will fit under a standard 18 cabinet

Depth of counter is 2ft
Cabinets come out a little over 1 ft

I know the main body will fit as it's only 13 inches, but looking to confirm if the lever will fit if I position it between the 2 cabinet doors (i.e. Looking for dimensions of depth of top of lever from the back of the machine to assess if I'll be able to swing open the doors and clear the lever)

Comments

• We do not have inches and feet but I placed a cabinet on top of the L-R body exactly lined up with the front of the L-R so you can see how much the lever handle protrudes:

Attached files

• hi yaseen

thanks for posting. i think the images that frans has posted above illustrate the point quite nicely - to all intents the back (boiler side) of the lever handle lies in plumb line with the front panel of the machine

my understanding is many owners with kitchen cabinets have positioned their londinium espresso machine in exactly the manner you describe; between the arc of where two cupboard doors swing shut

kind regards

reiss.
  • Reiss, Frans - thanks for the quick responses.
    Would you be able to provide measurements of where the front panel is in relation to the front and back of the machine? (metric is fine, I'll convert)
    Just want to ensure I can position forward enough on the counter to leave a gap where the doors can clear the handle, I'm confident it will work out, but just want to double check.... I placed my order for the L-R last night :)
  • Yaseen,
    Here are my comments having sited my L-R in front of wall cupboards.

Worktop is 600mm deep Cupboards are 320mm deep.
    Give or take a mm or so, the L-R body is also 320mm deep.
    My doors are 600mm wide and have typical concealed cabinet hinges, hinged left and right.
    (Narrower doors may improve marginally upon what I am about to say)

With reference to the rough diagram above, dimension B, handle to door front clearance, is approximately 50mm when the front of the drip tray is 5mm in from the front edge of the worktop. 45 / 50 mm gives all the room you need to grab the handle. The necessary gap between wall and rear of the L-R case will also be 50mm

If the handle of the L-R is central on the opening edges of two doors then the doors need to have opened by at least 5" or 127mm (Dimension A).
    You cannot get that amount of clearance without the machine falling off the counter.

If you have the doors with hinges together and the handle on centre then B of 50mm allows both doors to open pretty much fully.

If you have doors hinged the same hand then if the handle is just in towards a hinge edge then effectively both doors will open for full access.

I chose to site my L-R as per the bottom sketch. The handle is half the width of the machine in from the left hinge (C). I have full access to the righthand cupboard. Access to the left is limited but with care I can get my arm in. and remove a cup. I do however tend to keep things that I rarely need in the left cupboard.

The L-R is heavy and the rubber feet, quite rightly stop it sliding about on the counter. You can purchase self adhesive, felt pads for the legs of furniture etc. I got some that are exact same diameter as the L-R feet. Stick one one each of the rear feet ! Then you can lift the machine slightly at the front and it will glide on the pads. I doubt that the machine suffers for being 2mm higher at the back and there is absolutely no issue with stability when pulling the lever. It works great for me on a granite work surface. So if I need full access to my left cupboard it takes two seconds to slide the machine a few inches to the left.

I hope that makes sense and is of some value.

Do not let a poxy wall cupboard get in the way of you owning an L-R !!!

Attached files

• Tony, thanks a ton for this great write up and illustration, exactly what I was looking for.
    I found a solution by thinking a little outside the box and switching locations of my espresso machine and grinder. I have a space to the left of the cabinet that allows the machine to be half under the cabinet and half exposed, which will not only solve the lever placement challenge by allowing it to hug the right side if the cabinet, but also makes it easier to fill water
    My Duetto 3 was under the cabinet and I had to use and offset funnel to fill it (not a huge deal, but definitely prefer the open access I have now.
    I would never let a flimsy cabinet stop me, where there is a will there is a way :)

Thanks again to all for the helpful responses, I'll follow up with pictures of the setup to help others facing the same "problem"
  • measuring from the back of the LR it is 315mm to the front panel and another 220mm from the front panel to the front of the chin panel (that the drip tray sits on).

apologies for the delayed replies, & thank you for your post tony

kind regards

reiss.
  • Thanks Reiss, with those measurements my gut is (and as Tony mentioned) it won't be forward enough to allow the doors to clear the lever, but I have found a very easy alternate position (which as mentioned also makes water filling much easier in addition to accommodating the lever)

Attached files