This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

Please post the defects in the chrome on your group here!

now and then customers receive their machines and they express their dissatisfaction with marks in the group that are under the chrome

that is to say, the marks were there before the group was chrome plated in Italy

they proclaim their distress and want to send it all back and become more upset when i say the not i, nor the manufacturer of our machines, nor the group manufacturer in italy consider it to be a defect

rather than let rumours take hold around this issue i have decided that the best way is to put it out in the open - to try and get images of as many londinium machine groups as possible posted here that show defects on each one. in this way prospect buyers can decide if our offer is for them prior to making their purchase decision

i will start the thread by posting an image of my LR and next time i am at my workshop i will post an image of any defects i can find on each of the L3 groups, my father's machine, and any others i come into contact with over time

i encourage every single londinium owner to post an image of their group on this thread that highlights as dramatically as possible every imperfection in the chrome

i am confident that i can find a 'defect' in the chrome on every single group we send out, so please, if this is a deal breaker do not buy a londinium - we are selling espresso machines, not jewellery

a chip, crack, or flaking of the chrome is different and we would always accept that as a warranty claim and have you return the group top back to us for replacement

kind regards

reiss.

Attached files

image image image

Comments

• here is another one from a customer received today:

image [hr]

i am happy to offer a partial refund commensurate with the loss suffered in these situations, but sending the group top all the way back to us seems a bit disproportionate
  • No kidding, Reiss. These are machines. If they aren't getting dinged up and scratched up, then I would respectfully argue they aren't being used properly! Obviously defects which would lead to premature ageing or degrading of the machine are a different story, but I doubt this is what is at hand.
  • If you look at minute details indeed many traces of the manufacturing process can be found and I think probably every single group may be unique if you zoom in on the hairlines. This could be viewed as something very special and if they ever stop making this brew group people may come to appreciate it even more, hunting down the best of the best of them to preserve for future machines.

I'm not at home today but I will take some pictures later.

I do NOT consider these manufacturing 'fingerprints' to be defects though.
  • Reiss Gunson post=13248 wrote: now and then customers receive their machines and they express their dissatisfaction with marks in the group that are under the chrome
    that is to say, the marks were there before the group was chrome plated in Italy
    i encourage every single londinium owner to post an image of their group on this thread that highlights as dramatically as possible every imperfection in the chrome

Here is the 'defect' on my new L-R

Do I wish that when cleaning up the casting, Luigi had taken a bit more time and produced a mirror finish on the face of that flange? Of course I do but the likely reality is that he is not given the time to achieve that degree of perfection. Personally however, I am grateful that he made a great job of the more visible features of the group casting.
    I feel sure that the quality of finish on Londinium groups is no less representative of the Italian manufacturers' quality than any other machine manufacturer using the same group.
    Reiss Gunson post=13248 wrote: a chip, crack, or flaking of the chrome is different and we would always accept that as a warranty claim and have you return the group top back to us for replacement

I can attest to this. My old L1 (2016) was delivered with a small exposed brass score mark and some flaking chrome on the mating face of the upper group.
    Reiss arranged for this to be exchanged, without issue.
  • I blame all the "defects" on my group on Frans (and his measurement frenzy). But they are also the priceless signature of a famous individual in the coffee world, which makes the machine even more unique then it already was. :)
  • I understand why Reiss started this thread.

Yes, when I look for imperfections on my machine, I can find them. Since owning the machine, my friends and relatives simply ask for a coffee. They frequently comment on the beauty of the machine. No one has inspected it to find fault. To me and them, it is all about the coffee.

Maybe due to my senior years, I now see imperfection as natural. If you look for it, you will find it everywhere. Even if you find it, almost everyone else does not see it or if they do, it makes no difference.

If you must reject a product on its lack of beauty or imperfection, I suggest you take a little time out to consider where it makes any difference to its function and your enjoyment.

Trevor
  • Ok, I'm feeling a bit left out....can't find any imperfections on mine! It has no character! I'm going to complain to Reiss!
    Rob
  • Robert, sent it back :)
  • As they say in woodworking "take the compliments and shut up" if you can't take the compliments without point out where the defects are you are considered inexperienced :)

Mario
  • It has been a while since I have been to the forum, I haven't really had the need as I haven't had any issues!

My machine is one of the original L1 Luxe models and has been in constant use,
    plugged in and on 24/7 for the past 4 years.

My machine has a very similar 'defect' on the back flange to the one on Tony Cordery's machine.

There is also a slight imperfection on the right inside the lever cam. I can also see a bit of wear on the left side but like I said, this is after 4 years of constant usage.

I agree with Reiss and others posting here, these are part of the machine and an acceptable part of the manufacturing process.

Cheers
    Ian
  • hi ian

thanks for dropping by. when we make the LC in 2018 it will be our own group, forged locally, and then i will be willing to be held to higher standards of cosmetic care as i will be in a position to do something about it; both in terms of being able to demand a higher standard of finish and also if something that is not up to the mark goes out the door i will be in a position to rectify it.

best

reiss.
  • I regret to inform that the chrome on my Londinuim R is flawless, and the espresso is even better. Paired with either Monolith, effortless, perfect consistent espresso.