This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

Londinium R - Removing the 'sealed' CEME dust cap

Reiss has posted a short video in the permanent file explaining how to remove the Ceme pressure switch dust cap in order to adjust the L-R pre infusion pressure. Adjusting the pre infusion pressure on the Londinium R

I viewed the video well before my L-R arrived and was happy that having been shown the best way to go about it, it was a simple enough task. Once my machine was set up I decided to remove the cap, just as a 'test run'. As per the video I used long nosed pliers to pinch the cap, lightly, at 90 degrees to the fixing lugs, expecting it to pop off. It did not. Increased pinching force also failed failed and coupled with the upward pulling, resulted in the pliers slipping and scoring the top of the cap.

I then took a closer look and saw that it appeared to have had the plastic lugs meted and peened over in order to secure the cap to the body.

I now know that this is the 'sealed' condition that Frans G refers to in his Londinium R has arrived thread. It is to be expected on a new machine and Frans stresses that you should break the seal with delicate force.

I'm not sure if the seal on mine was unusually heavy or not but delicate force was never going to do it.

So with the machine switched off at the mains, I disconnected the two wired spade connectors and came in from the side with the pliers.

This gave better purchase, alleviated slipping and without being overly brutal, the 'welds' popped and the cap could be lifted off.

That left the fixing lugs and the slots in the cap in the 'clean' condition that is seen in Reiss' video.
Thereafter, the cap could be easily popped off and on, as per the video.

Hopefully this is a useful supplement to Reiss' video.

Comments

• Good!

A delicate approach with care is always better than starting off with brute force.

• thanks for this! was having the same issue, but this fixed it!

reiss, u can ignore my email!
  • Hi Dan, I'm glad that helped.

Reiss, is there any issue with just leaving the cap off ?

I suspect not but I now cover over the adjustment screws with a strip of insulation tape and so making an adjustment is that little bit quicker and less fiddly.
  • I keep the cap off. One must always be careful with water, not accidentally pouring it over such parts of course.
  • hi tony

its fine as long as water doesnt enter - its a dust cap, its designed to be set by the manufacturer and sealed to stop people meddling but hey ho, we are using it in a slightly innovative way and we need to be able to adjust it for light, medium, and dark roasts

its pretty cool because it allows us to bring an unbelievable amount of heat to bear on light roasts without pushing the group out of equilibrium

if you dont think you like light roasts you should try one on this because you might - it can get rid of the citrus notes & sweeten it up for you

best

reiss.
  • ok, count me in as another person who lost their cap. mine fell into the machine somewhere and I haven't been able to locate it. Reiss - is there a cap replacement program i can sign up for? :)
  • i really would not worry about this. mine is off too and stored on the shelf.
  • Mine is somewhere on the bottom also and if I ever want it I can go look.