This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

L1 or L1 P and other questions

Hi, my name is Mario, first time posting here, endless searching for an espresso machine got me here, never had a lever machine but I know I want one, is a natural pressure profiling machine :)
I'm interested in the L1-P but I see that the L1 or LR is smaller foot print, is everything else the same? Like group head, wiring, boiler, maybe the P is made with heavier duty materials? I have no issues with direct water connection, electrical power or space.

I would like to ask you a question that I hope is not difficult to answer I hope, I'm really having a hard time deciding what to buy, I read about so many that I'm drawing a blank, of course we all want the best espresso possible so lets get the best machine for it any regrets? are you happy with your purchase? Would you buy it again?

Just one more, I have a Macap M7D Conical grinder I just upgraded from a mazzer mini thinking that I could "inspire" my 10 + years old Brasilia Classic to do better, sort off bringing a puppy home for the old dog :) is the M7D a good match for the L1 R or L1 P?

Thanks
Mario

Comments

• Hi Mario,

Welcome to the forum.

The L1 (since 2017) would only be relevant in case you would open a commercial place, where a lot of shots needs to be served per hour. There is not a difference in quality between the L-R and L1; it's a matter of capacity. The L1 boiler is 7 liters instead of 2.3 liters of the L-R, and the HX of the L1 is also a lot bigger and it's only plumped in. All these things are no benefit for domestic use. So your choice for the machine should be the L-R.

I'm very happy with my L-R and I would buy it again.

Hope that makes it clear to you what to do.

Greets,
    Ernst
  • Welcome Mario! Whichever machine you choose, you are in for a treat. And yes, these machines are worthy of the best grinders.

There is potential for confusion because there have been two very different machines called "L1."

The product line as of January 2017:

Londinium R (an upgraded replacement to the original Londinium 1)
    Londinium I (formerly known as Londinium 1-P)
    Londinium II
    Londinium III

Compared with the LI, the LR is more compact, has a much smaller boiler, warms up more quickly and uses less energy. Both are capable of the same shot quality. The LI's larger boiler has much greater capacity to produce hot water and steam, and would have no trouble keeping up in a commercial setting (as far as single group machines go).

By default, the LR sources its water from an internal tank. Preinfusion pressure (adjustable) is produced by an on-board rotary pump. It can be optionally plumbed in, but if the pump is removed for silent operation, the pressure must be controlled externally. Choice of 120 or 240 V.

In contrast, the LI has no pump and must be plumbed in. Preinfusion pressure must be controlled externally. 240 V only.

Good luck!