This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

Londinium R first impressions from a Slayer One Group owner

I've been a "coffee geek" for about 20 years now and have been a Slayer One Group owner since it was released about 2.5 years ago. Needless to say, I thought I would never need another espresso machine after the Slayer but we needed a new espresso machine for the office so I started doing some research and decided on the Londinium R as it seemed to promise a similar pressure profiled shot to what I have come to expect from the Slayer (actually, it's the Slayer that tries to mimic a lever machine shot which is why I was very excited to give the Londinium a try). This is my first experience with a lever machine so I asked Reiss for some guidance based on my Slayer experience. On the Slayer I dialed the pre-infusion needle valve to get the first drop in the cup at about 15secs. For the Londinium, Reiss advised me to leave the pre-infusion pressure to the default 3bars and instead adjust my grind to get the first drop in the cup at about 7 secs. Once I did this, I started getting pretty amazing shots. And most importantly, I am getting superlative shots very consistently, which is the key, as any coffee aficionado knows. The other thing worth mentioning is that my Slayer is paired with a Mahlkonig Peak but due to space constraints I decided to give the Baratza Sette 270W a shot (pun-intended) for this setup and based on the results I'd say it's a keeper. There are some small issues with the weight dosing on the Baratza that I am still working out but I am sure that will get figured out.

Anyway, just wanted to share my first impressions and thanks Reiss for your advice and for creative such a great little machine!

Videos will follow.

-Lloyd

Comments

• Wow that's a very impressive story, thanks for sharing Lloyd!
  • Thanks Lloyd! I am looking forward to getting my L-R and to seeing your videos!
  • Great to read your experience Lloyd.

Last summer I was in coffee shop which is holding a very high name here in Berlin (and online for all the tourists coming to Berlin). One of there machines is the Slayer One. While I was talking with one of the staff members, he showed me the Slayer One and how the machine was working while pulling shots for customers and so more. Later on during the conversation, he pulled me a free espresso (without asking if I was in for a coffee; I was visiting them for buying hardware, not coffee). Super friendly off course! Unfortunately not for the coffee... The taste was bitter. :(

I didn't made comments on it for the sake of politeness. The environment was quite like a library where several tables were filled with hipsters who were very concentrated reading something (even books) and nipping coffee with 100% concentration on the liquid gold they afforded themselves. Especially considering the staff member who was very friendly, plus passionate about the hardware and everything he was doing for the shot while making. During the preparation of the shot, he was more towards whispering then talking and it was like he felt as the chosen one, who had the privilege to touch and even operate a magical machine in some sort of 'temple'.

A few minutes later, an American customer showed up at the counter for the payment and started asking: Is this something like a new taste I have to get used to (with a pretty angry undertone)? The guy and the customer started talking and the wife of the customer was trying to calm her husband down (it's alright, never mind...). Later on they agreed he would make a new espresso for him to taste. After around 5(!) minutes adjustments and preparation, the customer drunk his cup again and now he was not unsatisfied (apparently the bitterness disappeared).

The point of the story is: a Slayer One with a price - way > $10k - can bring lots of special (valuable) feelings to all the humans surrounding it, but in the end coffee is about consistent good tasting shots and knowing which variables truly matter toward that result.

I'm happy with my LR and looking forward to your video Lloyd. :)

Ernst
  • Excellent description of the scene & atmosphere in such a café Ernst ;-)
  • Hi Ernst

Sorry to hear you had a bad shot from a Slayer but I am sure I don't need to explain that the quality of the shot has a lot to do with the barista. I personally always share my opinion with the barista, good or bad, as I am sure they would love to know if someone is not enjoying their work. If you are ever in New York I'll be happy to pull you some shot (but only if you give me your honest opinion! ;-)

As for the cost of the machine, i think it's important to consider that any reputable espresso machine that is made from commercial grade components that is only used in the home, will have an above average resale value even after many years of use since it will be far less use than it was designed to withstand. So i like to look at the upfront cost as more of a hold deposit.

-Lloyd
  • It brought me feelings of irony and later on sadness, Frans.
    Knowledge can bring enlightenment, but depending on your external environment, suffering as well (IMHO).
    There are days where I prefer to stay at home the whole day, without seeing anyone...
  • A couple of years ago when I first started thinking seriously about getting my first espresso machine I was absolutely in love with the design of the Slayer. I convinced myself that one day I had to have one, and that nothing else could possibly compare.
    Since then I've learned a fair amount, I've pulled a lot of shots (including a dozen or so on a Slayer at Clive Coffee in Portland, OR), and now I've had the L-R for a few weeks.
    So here's what I think. Both machines can make excellent espresso. The L-R can do it with ease. The Slayer requires a lot of experimentation which allows for some unique results with the light roasts. The Slayer is a beautiful and innovative machine, but it's nearly 4 times the price of the L-R. It's not justifiable. If you simply want amazing espresso, buy an L-R. If you want to experiment with every variable under the sun, than hope that Decent Espresso pulls out of R&D land and creates the techno wonder they're promising - because it can do everything the Slayer can do and then a whole lot more for a lot less money (I've used one).
    I'm happy with my L-R, and I'm fairly confident I'll never own a Slayer.
  • I am in exactly the same situation, needing to replace a 14 year old Reneka Techno at my office. I have a Slayer 1gp at home as well. It is a superb machine, but you are 98% there with an L-R, or a Cremina for that matter, as long as you pair it with a good grinder. Techno/KonyE will be replaced by L-R/Monolith Conical. I will not be wanting for the Slayer at work - ever.
  • Hey Michael

Glad you have the same impression as me. Now that I have been going back and forth from the L-R to the Slayer for a few weeks I've realized that I now have the best of both worlds. They both pull consistently amazing shot but they are different kinds of shots so i get a double bonus every day.

And I have also not been able to shake Ernst's comments about his bad impression of the Slayer. Ernst, I would urge you to go back to that shop and have not just another shot but several more. I mean, you are not just judging that cafe based on one shot but the entire machine is getting a bad reputation because of it. I am sure I don't need to explain that you can pull a bad shot on any machine! So please go back and give it a proper sampling and then base your opinions on that. I would also try to get some shots from a different barista if possible.

-Lloyd
  • Hi Lloyd,
    I mean, you are not just judging that cafe based on one shot but the entire machine is getting a bad reputation because of it. I am sure I don't need to explain that you can pull a bad shot on any machine!
    I think you misunderstood my earlier post, or I've formulated it different then it was intended; besides that I'm not a guru who is making or breaking an entire machine or brand ("but the entire machine is getting a bad reputation because of it").

As I wrote in the post:
    The point of the story is: a Slayer One with a price - way > $10k - can bring lots of special (valuable) feelings to all the humans surrounding it, but in the end coffee is about consistent good tasting shots and knowing which variables truly matter toward that result.
    To be clear:
    There is nothing wrong with Slayer machines, I think the quality of Slayer machines is actually very high and the bespoke options are appealing. So please read my post again. I dislike the attitude of putting down on the work and opinions of others. I'm happy that on this forum there are so many members who are able to think independently and know what they are talking about.

If you're happy with a Slayer, I'm sincerely happy for you as well. All good! :)
    For myself, I'm convinced I would never buy a Slayer and that is not a matter of having the money for it.