This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

How to remove spouts from a Londinium portafilter

I have bought a portafilter pressure gauge to measure preinfusion pressures at various angles of the lifted lever. It meeds to be screwed into a standard pf where the spouts would usually be. I have a double spout Lomdinium pf, which pours evenly from both spouts. I don't want to mess anything up by removing the spouts awkwardly. Any suggestions?

Matt

Comments

• wrap the spout with a towel, hold the spout with a vise and turn the portafilter (counter clockwise).

It's a bit easier if the portafilter is hot (to soften the thread sealer a bit).

Just be careful not to apply too much force on the wood handle, hold the portafilter handle with both hands.
  • hi matthew

heat the area where the thread is located with direct heat, ideally one of those paint stripping guns, to soften the nut locking compound on the thread

if you only have a hair dryer you will need to apply continuous direct heat for about 15 minutes as they arent especially hot, obviously

a gas torch is overkill and is likely to damage things unless you carefully flick the flame over the threaded area - do not apply the flame continuously

before it cools off, immediately fit a 22mm wrench, as shown in the image below:

it is a fairly short thread so be prepared for something hot to fall in your lap or on your foot, that kind of thing

kind regards

reiss.
  • weirdly the single spout takes a 21mm wrench rather than a 22mm wrench...bizarre
  • Thanks Kfir and Reiss. I'll post my pressure gauge results, when I have some.

Matt.
  • i trust you have ordered a gauge with a bleed valve on it?
  • I assumed there would be a bleed valve on the gauge, even though it is an eBay cheapie. However, there isn't. I decided that since I would not be using it often, I could put up with the inconvenience. But maybe I should get a better model. Or try to find a bleed valve adapter, if such exist.
    Matt
  • the inconvenience is likely to include being sprayed with water in excess of 85C. be careful. i am working on sourcing some.
  • Thanks, I will. Meanwhile, I hope you find some.
    Matt
  • i will, it is just a matter of pricing and selecting the most appropriate one available

kind regards

reiss.
  • I had quite a challenge getting the spouts off the first time (for cleaning) - used the vice approach described earlier.
    Subsequently, removing the screw/top and sliding a large screwdriver through the channel provides enough torque along with with the handle, to remove the spout easily.
  • Reiss Gunson post=12955 wrote: i will, it is just a matter of pricing and selecting the most appropriate one available

kind regards

reiss.

I couldn't find anything at all through Google, except some homemade ones that I'd rather not try to duplicate.

Matt