This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

Who's made the switch from an E-61 HX Pump Machine?

Since I can't post in the owners forum (yet), I'm posting here. I hope that is OK Riess.

Who has switched from an E-61 group, HX, pump machine? What did you have to change in your routine.

For example, with my Alex I use a bottomless PF with a triple basket and overdose, level and tamp. How badly will that screw me up with an LR?

Any other differences you noticed (besides the improvement in the cup, of course :cheer: ?

Comments

• Ron Lewen post=12879 wrote: Who has switched from an E-61 group, HX, pump machine? What did you have to change in your routine.

I had a Rocket E61 before I got the Londinium but I'd already had La Pavonis and a Ponte Vecchio so the concept of a lever machine was not new.

The big commercial size brew group on the Londinium did make it much more simple to get a great shot though, compared to the tiny levers.
    Ron Lewen post=12879 wrote: with my Alex I use a bottomless PF with a triple basket and overdose, level and tamp.

Not sure what you mean by 'overdose' -- the standard basket takes about 15.8g of grinds, my VST 18g basket takes 17.5 up to 19g of grinds.
  • Frans Goddijn post=12881 wrote:

Not sure what you mean by 'overdose' -- the standard basket takes about 15.8g of grinds, my VST 18g basket takes 17.5 up to 19g of grinds.

My grinder has a doser, so I grind some, fill the basket with more than it holds, and scrape off the excess with my finger (official dosing finger :) ) so it is level, tamp and go.

Take a look at 2:00 into this video as an example.

I hope that makes sense.
  • If the procedure consistently gets you 18g in the 18g basket then there is nothing against it ;-)
  • Thanks! I'm consistently getting 22 grams in the triple, so it may work. I have a scale and can measure, but it's not as convenient with the doser on the grinder, and there really no reason to replace the grinder. It came from a shop that was closing and I put new burrs in it and it works beautifully
  • it will work, but it depends on exactly what your 'triple' basket is

for example, if it is a 22g VST it will fit in our bottomless PF no problem, but the crema on a fresh roast is likely to jump the gap between the basket and the bottom edge of the bottomless PF which is very close on a 22g VST

it will then run along the underside of the handle and drip down onto the floor, which the novelty wears off surprisingly quickly

it can be resolved with a single or double spout PF which is enclosed, or indeed your basket may be a slightly different profile to a 22g VST

kind regards

reiss.
  • Thanks!

I'll probably stick with either the stock or VST 18g basket to get started. Once I get that figured out I can branch out :)

I did order a Brewista 2 scale so I can get more accurate, but sometimes I get in a hurry. Any issues overdosing and leveling with either the stock double or the 18g VST?

I did not order a spouted PF since I rarely make drinks for anyone but me, and I just enjoy watching the extraction on the bottomless. I have single and double spout PFs from my Alex that are 58mm, so until I sell the Alex I can try them.
  • i would strongly recommend weighing each dose; it pays dividends it really does - as a general rule i would say watch and re-watch frans' videos to observe each step of his preparation. if you replicate that you should obtain pleasing results

you can have the most expensive gear in town, but it is care and attention to detail in the shot preparation that will bring you consistently good taste in the cup

im not sure where the lugs are on an Alex PF, but they may not fit the lever group

kind regards

reiss.
  • Thanks... I'll check the PFs when the machine gets here. They are going to go with the Alex when I sell it anyway.

I do plan on measuring, but at 5:30am before my weekly 6:00am call with our UK team it's nice to just grind, level, tamp and go. Once I get the new scale it will be easier.
  • Ron, if you feel upgraditis when you use your grinder, just get a Monolith single doser and weigh out your beans before grinding. Perfect dosing, no retention, no muss, no fuss.
  • John Heckendorn post=12896 wrote: Ron, if you feel upgraditis when you use your grinder, just get a Monolith single doser and weigh out your beans before grinding. Perfect dosing, no retention, no muss, no fuss.

That's funny. I was looking at the Monolith web site last night. Unless someone hands me the money that's going to have to wait, for a while. I just dropped some money on new BBQ competition smokers, and now the L-R. I think my honey-do list is going to be long enough from those purchases :unsure: :) :(
  • Yes, you've dug yourself a deep, deep hole... :P
  • True...

Very true...

The LSM is still going strong and is a beast, so I hope that it will still last for a while. It's not pretty, but was a steal. $75 plus $50 for new burrs a few years ago. It's not true stepless but the adjustments are very fine and I can easily choke the Alex and the shots are great, so I think it will be fine with the L-R.