This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

What else do I need or want?

I am almost ready to pull the trigger :) Here is the list of things I am thinking about ordering.

Londinium R
60mm feet
IMS Shower Screen
VST 18gr Basket
Two hole steam wand
Extra PF to group seals
Custom group seal kit
Extra Loxseal

Is there anything else that I need? Anything else that I should want? :whistle:

Is there anything on there that I don't need?

Thanks!

Comments

• A tamper.

Reiss' button tamper has the same wood as the machine, it's big enough that it is tight in the basket (very good thing), promotes a light pressure tamp and gives a good visual for getting it level.

I'm a big fan of 58.4mm or so bases for tampers, if you prefer the knob style you'll see that option on occasion. Sometimes the base will be listed as 'for VST baskets' or something like that.

Consider filtration for your water if you haven't already. There are plenty of posts on water here and elsewhere. Sadly it's not a one-size-fits-all situation as your water can be much different from my water or someone else's posting here.

Some vessels to pull shots into. I prefer a 2oz round shot glass which shows the shot in progress. A beautiful thing (when done right!). If you're a straight espresso drinker then just some espresso cups.

A milk pitcher if you don't have one.

Bar towels. Very handy for wiping things.

A scale that shows .1gm accuracy. The new fancy ones sound nice as they can show your flow rate but a cheaper scale (like 1/10th the price!) is better than no scale.

A kick-butt grinder. Compak or otherwise.

Beans with roast date on them.

Socks and shoes for your 60mm feet. This is a joke.
  • Thanks Richard! My responses in line below...
    Richard Gregory post=12882 wrote: A tamper.

Reiss' button tamper has the same wood as the machine, it's big enough that it is tight in the basket (very good thing), promotes a light pressure tamp and gives a good visual for getting it level.

I have several of differing varieties. My current machine is 58mm as well. The button tamper is interesting, however.

I'm a big fan of 58.4mm or so bases for tampers, if you prefer the knob style you'll see that option on occasion. Sometimes the base will be listed as 'for VST baskets' or something like that.

Thanks! I'll look. The one I use daily may be that size. Time to bust out the calipers! :)

Consider filtration for your water if you haven't already. There are plenty of posts on water here and elsewhere. Sadly it's not a one-size-fits-all situation as your water can be much different from my water or someone else's posting here.

All set on that front.

Some vessels to pull shots into. I prefer a 2oz round shot glass which shows the shot in progress. A beautiful thing (when done right!). If you're a straight espresso drinker then just some espresso cups.

Plenty of both, and cappuccino cups and latte cups :)

A milk pitcher if you don't have one.

Let's see... Toroid, Rattleware, Motta, 2 sizes of each. I may need one more :whistle:

Bar towels. Very handy for wiping things.

check :)

A scale that shows .1gm accuracy. The new fancy ones sound nice as they can show your flow rate but a cheaper scale (like 1/10th the price!) is better than no scale.

Yeah, I need to upgrade. My current scale doubles on the food scale. I'm thinking about the new Brewista. I can't quite pull the trigger on the Lunar.

A kick-butt grinder. Compak or otherwise.

I have a commercial grinder (La San Marco LSM90) that does a great job with my current machine. It's big, ugly, has a doser, but it works.

Beans with roast date on them.

Is Saturday OK? :). I am a home roaster, so fresh beans are guaranteed!

Socks and shoes for your 60mm feet. This is a joke.

That made me laugh :cheer:
  • Good deal! I hadn't looked at your posts or profile when I rattled off that list, but I suspected you were aware of all that.

Still, it's a good list for anyone else wondering the same thing!

In regards to the button tamp- if you already have one you are used to then definitely start there. My experience with VST (or any straight-ish wall basket with holes darn near out to the edge) is the tighter the tamp base the better. I nutate a bit too. Then again, if having a tamp that matches the machine is something that appeals to you, there's that too. The button will have a small learning curve.

Sounds like you're all set though. Enjoy!
  • Richard Gregory post=12887 wrote: Good deal! I hadn't looked at your posts or profile when I rattled off that list, but I suspected you were aware of all that.

Still, it's a good list for anyone else wondering the same thing!

In regards to the button tamp- if you already have one you are used to then definitely start there. My experience with VST (or any straight-ish wall basket with holes darn near out to the edge) is the tighter the tamp base the better. I nutate a bit too. Then again, if having a tamp that matches the machine is something that appeals to you, there's that too. The button will have a small learning curve.

Sounds like you're all set though. Enjoy!

No worries! It's a great list. I have a minor issue with going overboard in my hobbies :whistle: You should see my list of BBQ equipment :cheer:

I do like having a matching tamper, so I added it to my list! I also like wood. I have one of the original Thor wooden tampers that I love.
  • I placed my order for the L-R this afternoon!

Is it done yet? :whistle:
  • Rich provided some good advice. Just a note on the scale, if you decide to get a new one: make sure it doesn't turn off by itself after a few seconds or a minute of idle time. That's EXTREMELY annoying, especially after it happens over and over and over and over again ad insanium.
  • That would be annoying. I ordered the second en Brewista. I did see that the auto off time can be delayed or turned off, so hopefully that will work. If not, I can return it within 30 days. I keep hoping that a gently used Lunar will come up B)