This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

Cool tool for cleaning the grouphead

2»

Comments

• and critically you can clean the group while it is hot (i.e. between shots)
  • I'll be curious to hear feedback from those using this tool once they've had it in action for a while and then they pull the group apart for a seal change and/or relubrication. I used to do the "pf wiggle" after every shot, but at some point ceased to do it because I wondered about dirty water flowing back up around the piston. It seemed when I pulled the piston out it was quite tarnished, and was curious what would happen if I stopped.

So, I did a thorough cleaning of the piston with some mild cleanser (toothpaste, IIRC), and ceased to use the wiggle. Lo and behold, the next time I pulled things apart it was remarkably cleaner on the inside. In fact, it was spotless. I obviously stopped using the wiggle method, and find it is pretty easy to maintain a clean group simply using a quick post-shot flush (which is SOP with the LI, anyway) and the occasional wipe with a rag around the screen.

Since no water is re-entering the group through normal use, I wonder about the need or benefit of this device, especially in a non-commercial environment. Of course, YMMV...
  • Works very well here. Especially the 'lips' / groove that the PF locks in to are now always clean, no coffee crud building up there.
  • I've never had any buildup of crud there, Frans. Maybe I just tend to be more careful than most. To each his own, of course.
  • hi salvatore

i was thinking about your comments and how they contrast to my experience

kfir in israel also emailed me an said, bah, he has no need for such a thing and keeps the group perfectly clean with a rinse and a rag

i dont doubt that is true, but i wonder if you both tend to run smaller doses?

certainly when i am dosing 18g in an 18g VST i get plenty to clean up when i remove the portafilter

the Espazzola makes it so quick and easy i am deciding to stock it for resale

bear in mind i am making these comments as someone who is guilty of not keeping my machine particularly clean, ive found the espazzola so easy i have it on the bench beside the machine and use it after every shot

because the Espazzola is so quick and easy to use my machine has never been as clean as it is now

one thing i am wondering about is getting a 20g VST and running 18g doses in that - i can't help but wonder if it would keep things a bit cleaner

i have a 22g VST but i wouldn't recommend it as it runs so close to the inside of the bottomless portafilter that the crema can bridge the narrow gap and then you've got coffee going everywhere. i suspect the 20g might be the little bit smaller that this does not occur

is anyone able to speak of the relative merits of a 20g v 18g VST basket used on our machines?

reiss.
  • Reiss,

I dose 17 g in the 18g VST, and I also have plenty to clean up. Why do you think 18 in the 20 might be cleaner? The one thing about the LR that I didn't expect is the larger amount of grounds left around the group gasket after removing the portafilter. I still haven't figured out why that is the case. However, sounds like the Espazolla is the answer!
  • Reiss,

As for me, you are correct, I tend to favor a more "traditional" methodology: 14-15g in a VST 15g basket (aiming for 20-22g in the cup). If I am experimenting with a lighter-roasted single origin, I increase the dose to the 16-16.5g range to make sure there is enough ground coffee in the basket, but the typical beans in my hopper are usually darker in roast.

As I mentioned, I found the "wiggle" method, which seems to me to be similar to what this device is accomplishing, caused much greater build-up behind the screen, and it was noticeably cleaner once I stopped doing it. I think this device would certainly be useful in a commercial environment, but for me it's not necessary. You may be correct about the dosing, however, and I certainly think everyone is welcome to use whatever tools they find useful.

Thanks!
  • Roger Healy post=13094 wrote: Reiss,

I dose 17 g in the 18g VST, and I also have plenty to clean up. Why do you think 18 in the 20 might be cleaner? The one thing about the LR that I didn't expect is the larger amount of grounds left around the group gasket after removing the portafilter. I still haven't figured out why that is the case. However, sounds like the Espazolla is the answer!

hi roger

well it might be a forlorn hope, but i was wondering if a bit more headspace might help

what does eliminate the issue is waiting a bit longer before you release the PF - taking the PF off the group whilst there is still pressure above puck is what causes the grounds to spray up (the sudden drop in pressure)

the bigger the dose the longer it is likely to take before the pressure above the puck dissipates

reiss.
  • Hi Reiss,

In your video about the L-R () it became clear to me that your group gasket will become a lot more dirty (PF is pretty full and you are tamping lightly). If you would remove the PF before you were pulling the shot, I think there will be coffee attached to the shower screen for example.

Depending on the art of making shots, the group gasket will become dirty or stays pretty clean. My group gasket was clean most of the time (tamping harder for example and I was already cleaning more often), I now embedded using the Espazzola in my workflow, after each shot. I'm only pulling the lever until the pre-infusion starts to flow lightly, wiggle 2/3 seconds, then lift the lever up back to start position. It takes little time after all and cleans everything well, so I started to appreciate the Espazzola.
  • Just received my Espazzola. Assembled it and then put it to work.

A surprising amount of old grinds came loose - much more than with my normal habit of a quick flush after a shot and then a wipe. Looked really clean as well.

A good purchase I think!
  • hi trevor! yes, highly recommended.
  • https://www.comunicaffe.com/sca-2017-best-new-product-winners-announced-at-world-of-coffee/
    The Best New Product Awards for 2017 went to:

2017 Best New Product Results

COFFEE ACCESSORIES

Espazzola, PROTONEA Senger
  • yes, thoroughly deserved too.
  • Plus 1 for recommending this tool.
  • yes, its excellent, i use mine after each session it is that quick & easy.