This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

Londinium Owner Wannabe :)

Hi gang!

I am looking seriously into buying an L-R and have been exchanging e-mails with Reiss. He suggested that I sign up here and ask some of my questions.

First, a little background. I am a home roaster and have been enjoying espresso at home for quite a while. I started with a Silvia and Rocky combo, upgraded the Silvia to an Isomac Millenium, upgraded the Rocky to a La San Macro LSM90 commercial grinder and then upgraded the Millenium to an Izzo Alex Mk II Rotary pump HX machine in 2006. I also bought a used Riviera Baby manual espresso machine that I used on occasion, but it needs new gaskets and is turning into more of a project than I have time for.

I've been researching another upgrade to a dual boiler machine when someone on HB mentioned the Londinium R, and that led me down this path. I like what I see, and I know that the L-R is new, but I am hoping that some of you in the states have received yours, or maybe have an L1 with the 110V/1400W option. It's difficult for me to do any new wiring, so going with eh 220V version is not really an option, so I would like to hear about your experience using the 110V version, in particular your experience with steam power and longevity. I admit to enjoying a Capp or latte once in while.

If it helps, my typical day is either a couple of americanos or Capps in the morning, with a couple of espressos later in the day. I am the only one who would use the machine and if we entertain, I tend to just make a big pot of brewed coffee (I have a Bunn vacpot brewer) because it is easier.

Thanks for any input!

...ron

Comments

• Hi Ron,
    IMO worries about voltage are overrated. I live in Germany (220V) but used to run a Cremina both in Montreal (110V) and Berlin(220V), without notable differences. The size of the (steam) boiler matters though and I doubt you would have any issues with the Londinium.
    The only thing I can imagine is that the heating element could trigger the circuit breaker when it kicks in. I have seen and experienced several cases of "funky" electric wirings in north american homes that left me in total disbelief… so, I guess anything is possible but if you haven't any issues with your other machines it won't happen with the L-R ;-)
    Matt
  • hi ron

thanks for posting. the only time the 1400W element will struggle is if you draw off a lot of hot water (the pump then replenishes the boiler with cold water and as a result you lose pressure in the boiler until the element is able to restore full pressure)

the warm up time between the 2400W and the 1400W is negligible because the warm up time isn't primarily the time it takes for the boiler to reach full pressure (3 minutes on the 2400W for example) but rather the time it takes for the water to circulate through the group and fully heat it up

whilst the LONDINIUM R is a new model the vast majority of it is not new but lifted straight from the LONDINIUM I (2012-2016) and is therefore proven. all we have done is replaced the piston pump with a rotary and added a manifold to allow us to raise the pre-infusion pressure to 3 bar to mimic the design of our commercial machines (LONDINIUM I/II/III), without the need to plumb in

there are lots of our machines in the USA (about 50%)

reiss.
  • Thanks Reiss!

I use an electric kettle for hot water for my Americanos instead of pulling hot water from my machine, so that's not a concern. I find that the steam power on my Alex is lacking, so I want my new machine to be a step up in that aspect and it sounds like the L-R will be.

Do you know of any issues running the machines on a timer? I use a Z-wave timer module on my Alex so I can have it turn on at 5:00am, and only when my iPhone is present on the network. That way it isn't Turing on when I am traveling.

Have you posted the manufacturer of the pump? If so, I have missed so I apologize for asking :). I assume that you chose a commonly available pump with good reliability specs.
  • Matthias Jakubek post=12818 wrote: Hi Ron,
    IMO worries about voltage are overrated. I live in Germany (220V) but used to run a Cremina both in Montreal (110V) and Berlin(220V), without notable differences. The size of the (steam) boiler matters though and I doubt you would have any issues with the Londinium.
    The only thing I can imagine is that the heating element could trigger the circuit breaker when it kicks in. I have seen and experienced several cases of "funky" electric wirings in north american homes that left me in total disbelief… so, I guess anything is possible but if you haven't any issues with your other machines it won't happen with the L-R ;-)
    Matt

Thanks Matt...

I understand your comment about funky wiring. We've been in our house 24 years and once in a while I find something on a circuit that was obviously doing for the convenience of the electrician and not logic :). I haven't had any issues with the Alex, so I'm sure the new machine won't have a problem.
  • Ron,
    I bought an L1 late last year, 120V 1400W version. I usually make 3 or 4 cappas in the morning. There is plenty of steam power...about the same I had with my GS3. I like to do latte art, and I get beautiful microfoam. I have had a number of people of over and made 10 or more drinks in a row, and the L1 cranks out the drinks with no downtime. The only thing you have to wait for is the pressure in the group to diminish before taking out the portafilter. I have mine on a timer in the morning, and have it turn on about an 90 minutes before it is going to be used. The espresso I am making is superb! Really loving the machine. Don't think you can go wrong with one of these. I have not used an L-R, but it should be similar to the L1 with added features.
    Rob
  • Thanks everyone! That all sounds good!

Rob, are you using the stock steam tip? Is the stock tip on the L1 the same as the L-R? I think is is.

Riess, Can you please confirm the clearance under the machine and how far beyond the rear feet does the body stick out? My espresso cart is 20" deep, but it has a bar at the back that is 1.5" above the surface. If the clearance under the machine is 1.5" or more, and the feet are offset by enough, then I can push the machine back so it overhangs the bar and it will fit.

Does that make sense? I'll attach a couple of pictures that may help.

• One other question...

What did you pay in duties and taxes? I used the calculator that Reiss posted in the blog and it said it would be around $90. Does that sound right?

Thanks!
  • I use the stock 4 hole tip. I bought a 2 hole tip up front....tried it once and put it in the drawer. The stock tip is great.
    Rob
  • Mine was about $105. I had a L-1 (2016) and some extra stuff.
  • Robert Hall post=12827 wrote: I use the stock 4 hole tip. I bought a 2 hole tip up front....tried it once and put it in the drawer. The stock tip is great.
    Rob

Thanks!
  • Gary Dahl post=12829 wrote: Mine was about $105. I had a L-1 (2016) and some extra stuff.

Thanks!
  • I took a look at the cart this morning and by removing two screws I can get rid of the offending bar. There is a wooden shelf at the back of the cart that is designed to hold spice bottles, etc and the bar is there to hold them in. I don't need it, so it will be gone!

Now to get my PowerPoint slides ready for the budget committee meeting.

:cheer: :P :unsure:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro