This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

Acaia lunar scale

Hi all,

Does anyone use this scale, and if so, what procedure works best for single dosing, with the aim of obtaining brew ratios

I'm currently using the barista auto start mode,

It'd be nice if there's a way to way the beans, then use the auto mode and obtain the brew ratio on the device

Cheers
James

Comments

• Hi James,

Here is a link to another post using the Lunar.
    Lunar Scale in action

I use the Lunar to weigh the grinds before tamping setting the Lunar to weigh the net quantity.
    Once I am ready to put the shot, I observe the flow rate and then withdraw the shot at about 25-27gm. The time should be about even with or slightly longer than the yield.

Good tool but not cheap.

Trevor
  • James,
    I use a separate scale (a cheaper one) to weigh my beans. I use the Lunar for the shot (that's the vid I took referred to above). I use the triangle square auto start mode...so when I place the cup on the scale it tares the cup and starts the timer. It would be nice to use the Lunar for both functions (weighing beans and measuring the shot) but not sure how to do it....I think that's what you were asking?
    Rob
  • Hi Rob, yep that's exactly what I want to use one scale for both
    I've written to them to see if it's possible
  • Hi Rob and James,

I use the one scale to do both. The process involves only having two menu options, which you switch between by a simple tap on the left button.

The first mode is with the "drop" and "square" symbols showing on the right side. This means that any vessel I place on the scale is automatically zeroed. If I were weighing beans into a cup, I'd place the cup on the scales, let the scale zero and then press the left button for about 1 sec. That changes the mode to a simple scale mode (no symbols showing in the right). Weight out my beans by moving the cup to and from my beans (in my case, it's the portafilter to and from my grinder).

When I have the correct weight, the scale is placed on the drip tray and I reset the mode by pressing the left button for 1 sec to return to the first mode. When the cup is placed on the scale, I wait a second or two after positioning the cup under the portafilter for auto-zeroing the cup before commencing with my routine to put the shot.

The trick is to turn off all other modes in the setup menu because each time you press the left button, you change to the next active menu item so having two actives items means you switch between the two.

Hope this helps.

Trevor
  • Oh cool I didn't know you could turn off modes
  • I do it with Trevor's method too. It took me a little while to diligently execute the necessary sequence of presses to 'hide' the other menu options but once that was done (well documented in the manual by the way but I'd skipped that for a long time) it was a breeze.
  • Shame you can't do it from the app
    And also hide pour over etc in the app too
  • I hesitated a bit as well, but it's really easy in practice. If you understand English and you have your reading glasses nearby, it's extremely simple. You make it hard on yourself and everyone if you try to skip steps or keep thinking "this should be done different". Just follow the very clear step by step advice and you're done.
  • Yes, Frans set his up and then he encouraged me to study the manual to hide the unnecessary modes.

I have not been using the app since it's been set up. Easier to press a button or two!
  • Hid my extra modes too. Bit of a chore, but greatly worthwhile. Easy to alternate between the two desired modes now.
  • Instead of toggling back and forth on my Lunar, I have a second scale that plugs in: AWS SC-2KGA
    Just looked it up, $19.97 on Amazon. I've had this scale for at least 5 years and no problem. Because it plugs in, it doesn't time out like most scales. I think it's worth $20 not having to mess around with the settings on the Lunar. I make most of my coffee in the morning and I want to keep things simple.
    Rob