This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

L1-P: what steam tip?

I have an L1-P, but I'm not sure what steam tip it has on it.
It's a 4 hole, but I don't know if it's 1mm or 1.4mm holes.
I can't glean the answer from the website, so...
Can anyone advise me?

I ask because I wonder if it's possible to slow the steam power just a little bit, without changing the p-stat (1.3 bar and I'd like to keep it there for now). Ideally, I'd like to retain a 4 hole tip, so reducing the hole diameter would be ideal if that's an option?

Comments

• Hi Innes

The L1-P. L2, and L3 are intended for commercial use and are therefore supplied with 1.4mm tips

That said I seem to recall you may have purchased your machine second hand; if this is the case I don't think you can be certain it has a 1.4mm tip on it

I've never heard anyone complain of the 1.4mm tip lacking power so I suspect you have the 1mm tip, and possibly even the previous model of 4x1mm tip with the holes closer to the centreline than they are on the current tip

I have an L1 on 1.0 bar pressure just now and the current model 4x1mm tip and I don't think you could complain about the performance unless you are texturing drum sized quantities of milk, in which case the 1.4mm tip is for you

Also take the top off and hold it up to a strong light to check none of the holes are partially obstructed

One way to determine what sized tip you have is to take a 1mm drill bit and if it is a snug fit in the hole it's 1mm, if it slops around its 1.4mm

Best

Reiss
  • Thanks Reiss,
    There is certainly no lack of power, that's for sure! Quite the opposite in fact - the steam is endless and dry. The boiler can "hold" 1.2 bar forever if required.

My hunch was that you'd specify the 1.4mm for an L1-P. It makes sense.
    But, from what you've said above, and my best observations at home, I think I have the "old 1mm" tip on my machine. It looks very slightly different to the tips displayed in the webshop. So, I think I will settle with the tip I have. It works fine. I'll just need to practice to get better at steaming small volumes of milk.

PS: You have a good memory. I did indeed buy my machine 2nd hand. Although one couldn't tell: it still looks and works perfectly.
  • Hi Innes,
    My L1 came with the 1.4mm and I also ordered the "then" 1.0mm 4 hole tip. Later I ordered the "new" 1.0mm 4 hole tip and that's is best and only one I use. The latest tip spreads the steam wider into the milk producing great microfoam. It's worth the investment.
  • Thank you Trevor. That's good to know.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk