This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

Red light is not on

Hello all,

After installing the group head and fill up half of the tank, I turn my new L1P on and both white and blue light turn on. But the red light doesn't come on when the blue light turn off. Anything goes wrong? Of course, the machine is not heated up at all.

Attached files

Comments

• have you read the instructions and manually filled the boiler?

if not the element will have been heating air and the over load switch on the relay will have popped

the manual fill valve is accessed by removing the left hand side panel and will be shipped in the horizontal (closed) position

once you have plumbed your machine to the water mains (and i strongly recommend including an isolating valve, a regulator, and a pressure gauge - see my post in the permanent file for details), then open the manual fill valve by turning the handle to the vertical position

then watch the sight glass on the front of the machine to ensure you do not over-fill the boiler

when the water is 3/4 of the way up the sight glass close the manual fill valve by turning the handle back to the horizontal position

only now should you turn the machine on

might be best if you FaceTime me (or Skype but the image quality is inferior)

kind regards

reiss.
  • Hi Reiss,

Thank you for your prompt response.
    I have read the instruction manual carefully before I assemble the machine and connect to the wall socket. I fill up half of the tank with using the maual by-pass valve and can clearly hear the water going in and the water level on the sight glass is going up. Then I turn off the manual fill valve.
    I plug the machine to the wall socket and turn the machine on. This is my first time to do so before I assemble the grouphead and fill up half of the tank.
    The blue light is on and continue fill up the tank till full. The blue light go off but the red doesn't come on. That the exact sequence. I will facetime you later.

Patrick
  • ok, remove the top panel

you will see the relay on the right hand end of the boiler, it is an earth brown colour usually

it has a reset/trip switch/button on it

depress that switch and try turning the machine on again

let me know

reiss.
  • Reiss, one more question.
    According to the manual, need to open the steam valve to allow the boiler to vent after red light on and close the valve when steam start to vent.
    Is it necessary to open the steam valve every time when turn on the machine or just the first time?

Thank you

Patrick
  • that is simply the fastest and most certain way to get the machine up to temperature - before machines were fitted with anti-vac valves this is the way it was done

check also that you have removed the red plastic shipping tag from the anti-vac valve, and that the anti-vac valve has fallen into the down (open) position after you have removed the red plastic shipping tag - this is important
  • am i right in thinking that you have reset the relay and the element is now heating? or are you still stuck?
  • Yes, now is working.
    I send the message twice already but don't know why it was not shown here.
  • ok, great! thank you for reporting back. i strongly recommend you set your machine up with a pressure reducing valve (regulator) and pressure gauge as shown here; https://londiniumespresso.com/forum?view=topic&catid=27&id=875

this will allow you to pull shots at different pre-infusion pressures 'on the fly', as our american friends might say

i also strongly recommend an isolating valve and a leak detection shut-off valve