This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

Wooden Wenge Handles Splitting

We have a rotating staff of baristas and have found that the portafilters come loose and need to be tightened with an allen wrench from time to time. However, recently, the handles began to split even though we have treated them with beeswax. (Albeit, we may not have done it as often as we should according to this article - https://londiniumespresso.com/blog/blog/570/caring-for-your-wenge-handles-food-grade-mineral-oil)

Any suggestions on replacing the wooden handles or repairing them?

Attached files

image image

Comments

• hi brian

been washing them in the dishwasher?

if you want the easy care option then i can probably add the thermplastic portafilters into my web store, but ive got to say of the hundreds of machines we've shipped i think 2 or 3 handles have split, so I'm delighted with how durable they have proven to be

alternatively replacement wooden handles are available if you want to stick with them - they are fast & easy to fit

washing them in a dishwasher will definitely make them split

putting a bit of butchers block oil on once a month just keeps them nice

kind regards

reiss.
  • Reiss,

It is possible that our staff stuck them in the dishwasher. Unfortunately, I'm not onsite to monitor their activity. That makes sense. I have some other handles from the other portafilters that we bought so we've switched to using those handles. Where would I buy the alternative wooden handles? Also, do you know if the allen screw often comes loose or maybe our "lock washers" are turned around wrong? Any ideas?

Thanks,
  • there should be a ripple washer on both the inside and outside of the wooden handle

i.e. the sequence is; steel shaft, ripple washer, wooden handle, ripple washer, M6x30 machine screw

i can set up a variant of this; https://londiniumespresso.com/store/product/75-single-wenge-handle-and-fitting-kit-to-replace-black-thermoplastic-handle-on-pf but with just the wooden handle and none of the metal ware, if that helps

best

reiss.
  • Thanks Reiss. I'll probably add in a couple with our next espresso machine order. We are waiting on a few details to be worked out but plan to order in the next month or two.
  • Reiss, if you have complete sets of four black thermoplastic handles for the L1 and make them available in the online store, I would purchase a set.

Thanks,

Rocky
  • hi rocky

that's no problem, if you can just confirm that you are happy with sprue on the moulding lines - they are pretty poorly finished, which is of course one of the reasons why we moved to wenge; something more in keeping with a premium product, a bit less easy wipe diner

kind regards

reiss
  • ps, in case the dramatic image posted above is causing you to lose sleep, ill guarantee they've been in the dishwasher, more than once too

the wooden handles give me no warranty trouble whatsoever - if they are going to split they arrive split from when the studs are set into them and i think its occurred 3 times on all the machines we've shipped

dont put them in the dishwasher, put a bit of butcher's block oil on them 3 or 4 times a year and they'll last for years and years
  • Reiss,

Sprue? Is that a raised seam that I can sand/polish off or does it go down into the plastic? If they are not too expensive, I might take a chance and not complain to you if I decide not to use them. Is it too much trouble to see a photo? I might also need instructions on how to remove the hot water and steam knobs. It is not that I don't like the wenge, but given a choice I would choose black.

Rocky
  • I sealed the wenge handles on my machine with wiping varnish. It makes the wood a bit darker and shinier than butcher block oil.

Rocky
  • the earlier photos in this forum will show our machines with the black thermoplastic handles, and they are used on almost every other lever machine that uses this group too, so no shortage of photos around - they are ubiquitous

you will need to replace the whole valve end toggle assembly unless you are willing to damage the wenge toggles to get them off

the wenge handles will come off the portafilters and lever arm very easily - just undo the metric hex key
  • If they are like the ones on other machines, that is fine.

Thanks,

Rocky
  • i will raise a manual invoice for you and email, which you will then be able to pay electronically - i have no intention of offering these items in our web store

kind regards

reiss.
  • Reiss,

Please hold off for now. It sounds like too much bother, and I am not unhappy with the wenge.

Thanks,

Rocky
  • you will need:

1. one black thermoplastic lever grip GBP7.50 each

2. one black thermoplastic PF handle GBP6.00 each

3. two black thermoplastic knobs mounted onto valve end caps with studs as a complete assembly GBP20.75each

parts total is GBP55.00 plus GBP25.00 delivery, giving GBP80.00

let me know
  • Rocky,

If you'd be interested, I have a complete set of used handles I'd be willing to sell. I've replace mine with the wenge versions, and can't see myself going back. The feel is... well, the word that comes to mind is "romantic." The thermoplastic handles, on the other hand, not so much.

I say this as someone who tends to prefer the industrial/commercial/simplistic look, but with the handles, there is really no comparison. Just shoot me a pm if you are interested. I have not removed the handle from my portafilter yet, but I could either offer it complete or remove it.

Thanks!
    Salvatore
  • Salvatore,

Thanks, but I am going to stick with the wenge handles for now. They are holding up well.

Rocky
  • You bet. Good choice, I believe.