This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

New L1 owner

I received my new L1 two weeks ago, along with a Compak E8, to replace my E61/Vario setup. Why? I cannot quite say, but after returning from Naples, I had a sudden urge to really pull my espresso. I have fallen in love with the silent beauty of the lever, and the sleek sophistication of the L1. Even though I did not plumb in my L1, the sound of the pump is much less present than on my E61. The lever technique is definitely different from my previous pump machines, and the limited volume of each shot means a double shot is two shots, but I am fascinated with the return to simplicity. Reiss's service and fellow owner support also adds to the satisfaction of my new L1. Thank you, Reiss, for giving us this beautiful machine!

Comments

• In fact, a double shot – Italian-style – is what you get from one pull of the lever. Italians use 7g of coffee for a single shot and 14g for a double. The amount of coffee they make from these portions varies quite a bit, from an equal amount of liquid (in grams) to three or four times as much. I typically put 14.5g in a 15g VST basket and pull about 30g of coffee from that, sometimes split into two cups and sometimes all in one. Or I use a 7g Strada basket, pack it with 7g, and pull about 14g from that.

Matt
  • Out of curiosity, what scale do you use? Mine has become erratic.
  • Curtis Smith post=12354 wrote: Out of curiosity, what scale do you use? Mine has become erratic.

What brand / type scale became erratic for you?

Acaia scales are excellent
  • Soehnle Page. It does not display fractions of grams, so I have to guess, but recently, it was telling me I had 16 g when it was obviously 20+ in the basket.
  • Curtis Smith post=12356 wrote: Soehnle Page.

Some seem happy with this very cheap scale, some are less enthralled:

"I HATE this scale. Bought it because a columnist recommended it but I think for its style rather than its accuracy, which is mainly inaccurate. The display comes close to the actual weight only when the food being weighed is lifted off the scale, and then the display lasts only a second or two so you have only the vaguest idea of how much the item weighs. It's a useless item and mine is going in the trash."

https://www.amazon.com/Soehnle-Digital-Kitchen-Scale-Silver/product-reviews/B000VRLQFA

Acaia is in a completely different class. More expensive too.
  • Curtis Smith post=12316 wrote: I received my new L1 two weeks ago, along with a Compak E8, to replace my E61/Vario setup. Why? I cannot quite say, but after returning from Naples, I had a sudden urge to really pull my espresso. I have fallen in love with the silent beauty of the lever, and the sleek sophistication of the L1. Even though I did not plumb in my L1, the sound of the pump is much less present than on my E61. The lever technique is definitely different from my previous pump machines, and the limited volume of each shot means a double shot is two shots, but I am fascinated with the return to simplicity. Reiss's service and fellow owner support also adds to the satisfaction of my new L1. Thank you, Reiss, for giving us this beautiful machine!

Hi Curtis,
    A somewhat late response. I am now able to post and I'm delighted to see that you decided to get off the fence on the Londinium side and are not regretting it.

Plus one for Acaia scales but they don't come cheap. Not sure if you can get the Brewista scale in US ?
    Although the original design proved to be problematic for some users I have used a set, from release, totally without issue. That said, I have never attempted to drown them. Has various modes to suit espresso and other brew methods and I believe the new model is USB rechargeable. Response time is not as fast as the Acaia but it isn't bad.

Enjoy the L1.

PS. I've been naughty and been seduced by the new LR!
  • Thank you for checking in. Yes, I got off the fence, perhaps a bit too early, though. A month after that came the LR, whic bugged me so much that I just went and got an Acaia.

I look forward to reading about the LR. If the opportunity presents itself, I can imagine trading to that. In the meantime, I will continue learning the L1.