This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

New help fitting the water tank please - doesn't seem to sit right

Just got my Londinium L1 through in post and I'm gagging to get it fired up but it doesn't feel like the water tank is seated right.

On my Rocket Giotto the tank properly latched into place and you knew it was in where as this just feels like it's bobbing around a bit. The nipple is definitely seated but it feels like the tank is sat a bit too high and the cover doesn't sit quite flush with the top of the machine.

I've tried gently pushing it once it's seated but it just pops back up. Any ideas?

Comments

• hi jack

1. as all the other owners can attest to, the water tank will flop around a bit when its empty & new - put some water in it to get some weight in it

2. my next thought is has the top panel correctly put back on? the 90 degree folds on the edge of the top panel need to be over the top edge of the black powder coated metal water box carrier on all four sides - i have included a couple of images below to convey. it is particularly easy to end up with at least one of the 4 folds of the top panel going down the outside of the black metal water box carrier

kind regards

reiss.
  • I've double checked and the top panel is seated as your pictures. I think it's the spring valve in the bottom of the reservoir just pushing it up because the tank is empty. Just wanted to check if it should click in place or anything like that before I filled it.

• Reiss should it sit as long as those photos when it's empty? If I push it down I can feel the spring in the black valve compress but when I let go it just lifts back up on the right hand side.
  • without wanting to annoy you, it doesnt look like it is fully seated into the drain fitting in the bottom of the water box carrier

shine a torch down there if you need to and check that the drain hole is free of debris and the central pin is straight and ready to depress the sprung seal in the bottom of the water box

then check that the sprung seal in the bottom of the water box can be freely pushed upwards from the outside of the water box with your finger

if both of these checks pass then have another crack at placing the water box into the water box carrier - the nipple on the underside of the water box with the sprung seal in the centre needs to be aligned with the drain fitting in the bottom of the metal water box carrier

let us know

kind regards

reiss.
  • Jack Blackmore post=12285 wrote: Reiss should it sit as long as those photos when it's empty? If I push it down I can feel the spring in the black valve compress but when I let go it just lifts back up on the right hand side.

fill the water box up with water - its just a case of it being brand new and the o-ring seal having enough resistance to hold up the light weight of the water box. fill it up with water and i think the 3 plus kilograms of the water will resolve it

let us know

kind regards

reiss.

I've checked inside and it looks fine to me. When I press down on the reservoir when it's seated I can see the valve push up. Does everything in the pictures look too? If it does I'll try filling it up and see how it sits

Attached files

• looks good! fill it up!
  • so when the tank is full it definitely sits better however I've just switched the machine on, the blue light comes on and the pump engages, the water level is definitely going down and then after 30 seconds the pump stops and an alarm goes off.

I could hear water trickling into the boiler but it did sound like a trickle. Any ideas?

I'm free to skype if that's any help?
  • from memory the manual should state that the pump will time out on the first fill and the alarm come on

simply turn the machine off, wait two seconds, and turn the machine back on. the machine is performing as it should

the logic at play here is the Gicar control unit is protecting the pump from thrashing itself to death in the event that it is not able to top up the boiler in i think 30 seconds is the time from memory

on the very first fill the volume of water that the pump needs to deliver into the boiler before it reaches the max point for the fill lever probe is greater than the pump can deliver in 30 seconds, so the Gicar stops the pump and an alarm sounds

this will not occur after the first fill as the pump is then only topping the boiler up from the min point on the fill level sensor, rather than a completely empty boiler

kind regards

reiss.
  • I promise I've read every step of the manual until now! It's filled up and warming up now!
  • did you take the red shipping tag off the anti-vac valve on the boiler if one was present?
  • I did read that part :D It's filled up perfectly pulled a few shots that are running too quick although they are stale old beans.

Time for bed and can't wait to dial it in tomorrow!! Thanks for your help Reiss, now the tank has water in it's sitting much better.
  • thanks for making a closing post jack.