This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

broken clip-on fixing

Somehow I've managed to break off one of the two metal plates inside the top clip-on fixing that secures a side panel. A new fixing would surely not be expensive, but it seems to be secured by a rivet. I suppose the manufacturer has a machine that puts these in, but can they be replaced with a hand tool?

Here's an image of the broken fixing:

Matt

Comments

• Should be a quick and easy fix. Drill out the old rivets and install new part with a hand held pop riveter.
  • hi matthew

i can send you rivets & clip if you wish

reiss.
  • I see online that pop riveter tools are quite cheap and they come with a selection of rivets. I have a hand held electric drill, but I don't know how to go about drilling out old rivets. Would I need special bits?
    Finally, I,don't know if I could source a replacememt clip locally, or if it would have to be supplied by the manufacturer in Birmingham. Maybe Reiss could comment.

Matt
  • hi matt

ill arrange for the clip & rivets to be sent to you

in the meantime i would be surprised if there is not an instructional video on youtube on how to drill out a rivet

I'm just heading out now so i can't check for you yet, but i expect you want probably a 2mm drill to drill out the body of the rivet so the back falls off it

ill pick this up in 8 hours or so
  • Thanks, Reiss. I'll check out YouTube for some instructional videos.
    All the best,
    Matt
  • The rivet is probably made of aluminium or mild steel so quite soft. Choose a drill bit for metal with a slightly smaller diameter of the hole in which the rivet sits. A little painters tape stuck around the area you're drilling will protect the chassis in case the bit slips. Carefully drill through the center of the existing rivet and remove any residual rivet with needle nose pliers. You're now ready to attach the replacement clip.
  • When drilling out rivets as Haydn has stated, the size of the drill bit is very important. These rivets rely on a size that is just large enough for the undrawn rivets to fit into.

On the riveter. choose a nose piece that is correct for the rivet otherwise you will struggle gaining grip on the mandrel (the wire end of a blind pop rivet).

Ensure you press the rivet against the object you are fixing and then squeeze the hand held riveter.

When you hear the pop, you are done!

Hope you enjoy the finished result.
  • have instructed factory to send you clip & rivet

get in touch when it arrives - happy to provide air support

i would say a 2.5mm drill is probably the ideal, 3mm will be too large i think, and 2mm you will probably get away with if you haven't got a 2.5mm

looking at the rivets on mine i think they appear to be aluminium, but they may be stainless - if they are ali the drill will run through like butter - stainless will be a bit of a pain & definitely require a fresh sharp drill bit

getting the old rivet out is where the care is required; fitting the new one is straight forward
  • Reiss Gunson post=12237 wrote: have instructed factory to send you clip & rivet

get in touch when it arrives - happy to provide air support

i would say a 2.5mm drill is probably the ideal, 3mm will be too large i think, and 2mm you will probably get away with if you haven't got a 2.5mm

looking at the rivets on mine i think they appear to be aluminium, but they may be stainless - if they are ali the drill will run through like butter - stainless will be a bit of a pain & definitely require a fresh sharp drill bit

getting the old rivet out is where the care is required; fitting the new one is straight forward

Spare rivets and clips (they sent two) arrived today, for which I thank you. I have ordered a few items I need (drill bits, punches and a handheld pop riveter. I'll probably set to work this weekend but if I don't get a chance, I'll have to put the repairs off for a week as I will be in Italy next week.
    All the best,
    Matt
  • thanks matt. im available on FaceTime, or Skype, if needed when the time comes. reiss.