This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

Drip tray of L1-P

Hi Reiss,

I’m interested in the Londinium 1P. Do I need to connect any pipe or tube to the drip tray?
Since the espresso machine will not be closed to the sink, can I just empty the drip tray manually?

Thanks
Patrick

Comments

• hello patrick

thank you for expressing an interest in our products

the short answer is no

generally, if the tray is not plumed to waste, you make the capacity of the tray as large as you can, for obvious reasons

drip trays for commercial machines, which the L1-P very much is, are intended to be plumbed out and so the tray can be made shallow, which in turn allows it to be pressed, rather than the much more expensive process of fabrication which a deep drip tray (like that on the L1) necessitates

i wouldn't dismiss the L1 - its our best selling model by a distance & much smaller

kind regards

reiss.
  • Patrick Lee post=12041 wrote: Since the espresso machine will not be closed to the sink

On my L1-P the hose from the drip tray goes to a big glass bottle under te machine. I have two of these and when one is filling up, I switch over to the other and empty the first in the sink. Works very well in my home situation. In a busy commercial place it would be directly connected to a sink exit of course.
  • Been doing this for years with my La Cimbali Casa. Hose connected to the waste outlet then passed through a hole in the countertop and into a 1 gallon container in a cupboard underneath. Works great and requires emptying about once a month.
  • Thanks Reiss and all those brilliant ideas!
  • Sorry to revive an old thread, but have a similar concern if an L1P will fit in the kitchen. Can someone post a few pictures of the drip tray of the L1P in particular from below showing the drip tray exit and how much space there is to run the exit hose under the machine. Does it need to go more or less straight through the countertop or is there room to run the drip tray exit hose out behind the two rear legs and then down somewhere behind the machine.

Thanks
    Jacob
  • hi jacob

ideally you want the hole in your bench for the drain pipe to be more or less immediately below the point where the drain pipe connects to the drain cup so you dont have a horizontal run of pipe on your bench top with no fall on it

on this basis a hole about 170-180mm back from the fall line of the front chin panel of the L1-P would be ideal

a hole in your bench of 65mm/2.5" is ideal i think as it makes it easy to run the power lead, water supply, and waste pipe out through as i dont imagine you want to drill multiple holes in your bench

some owners prefer to place the bench hole in the dead centre of the machine, and that also works, so you can see the placement isn't critical

reiss.
  • Jacob, many people prefer a 42" bench height for a spring lever machine, since that provides an easier and more natural pull geometry for the arm and shoulder. Assuming your countertops are 36" in height, I suppose you could consider fabricating a 6" platform for your machine, which would give you some good opportunities for routing electricity and water optimally. Obviously it would need to be pretty stout, since an L1-P is just a tad heavier than your standard toaster.

Reiss, do the feet on the L1-P/L2/L3 facilitate anchoring to a bench? If so, that would help with the ovewrall stability of the whole setup.