This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

Toggle Valves

I really need to lube the toggle valves as they are getting quite stiff, but despite following the instructions the end cap wont budge. Does anybody have any tips?

Thanks

Comments

• hi aaron

thank you for posting

i presume you have seen this post? https://londiniumespresso.com/forum?view=topic&catid=27&id=181

if the end cap is tight then place a second set spanner that is wide enough to fit over the valve body at the point where a 'T' junction is formed with the vertical drop down to the steam wand/water port

the purpose of this second spanner is to stop the valve body turning as you undo the end cap with the first spanner

take care to protect the chrome by placing something over the valve before touching it with the spanner(s)

i find a thin scrap of leather is good, but many materials can be used

secondly, as with all the boiler fittings, rather than progressively torquing up on the end cap with a smooth pull, shock it free by tapping the end of the first spanner with a hammer

finally, it is a conventional right handed thread so the old saying 'lefty loosey, righty tighty' applies

let me know
  • if you want to get fancy you could buy high grade 6061 aluminium alloy spanners that are used on race engines so they dont mark the anodised house fittings - these will protect the chrome finish

I'm struggling to find them in metric though
  • Hi Reiss,

Yes I had printed off the instructions for reference ages ago. I don't have a spare spanner to hand, will ask a diy'y friend for some support I think before proceeding further who hopefully has one.

Many thanks for the support.
  • If the toggles are still quite firm is it likely the seals are OK and just need a bit of lube?

I had considered buying the full service kit, but I don't really need all the bits that come with it.

Will the seals for the toggles be made available on their own at a later date?

Thanks
  • we could do anything aaron, but then people will complain about the courier charge for such a low value item(s) - at some becomes a bit silly doesn't it?

if they aren't leaking and the o-rings dont fall to bits in your hands you can probably squeak a bit more life out of them with a bit of Loxeal no.4

kind regards

reiss.
  • How much would you charge for just the o rings on their own? (Looks like I need 7?)

I definitely need the 3 custom piston seals, and probably some loxeal as well. Totally understand about the courier charge, hence trying to get everything I want in one order!
  • Hi Reiss,

Sorry to bug you but would you be able to confirm if it's possible?

Very keen to get my order in for the custom seals.

Thanks.
  • hi aaron

you're not bugging me, we're just not going to offer the seals in the service kit on a piecemeal basis

this is largely a function of me not wanting to place unreasonable demands on my supplier

someone has to be paid to sit there and pick and pack 3 o-ring seals for you, or whatever it is

I'm terribly sorry, but it is simply not economic for a business like ours to offer these options

we do try to keep most of the people happy most of the time

kind regards

reiss.
  • Hi Reiss,

No worries at all, I completely understand your point.

I'll get my order for the custom seals in today.

Thanks.