This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

Hand Grinder

Hello all. just wondering what hand grinder to get. Strictly for espresso. HG-1, Lido-E or Pharos? Any suggestions???
Thank you
Gene

Comments

• Grinding for espresso costs more time / effort than for drip coffee. Maybe first try to borrow a hand grinder and see if hand grinding does not make you want to skip coffee just to spare yourself te trouble.

I used the HG One manually a lot (would not want the smaller grinders for it), but eventually had the HG One motorized. Also the static electricity issue with single dosing in most hand grinders can get to you after a while.
  • I had a Pharos for about 6 months and gave it up...too much work!
    Rob
  • It's going to be used more like a novelty and purest stand point. Gonna match it with a La Pavoni (not sure which one top get either). Of course my go to is the L1. Just pulled some Myanmar which was delightful.
    Thanks
  • I first matched a HG-1 to my new L1. Variable results and hard work forced me to upgrade to an E10. I would probably buy an E8 now days.
    Espresso single dosing conical grinding depends very heavily on the quality of the burrs. With little or no weight on the beans, the grinds are fractured rather than ground - e.g. popcorning. I believe that results in uneven extraction.
    The difference from the HG-1 and the Compak E10 is substantial. My E10 always has about 500gm (1lb) of beans in the hopper and grinds consistently.
    Flat burr grinders do not seem to suffer from this problem even when single dosing.
    Suggest either an E8 or Monolith
    Trevor
  • i think the piece of the puzzle that gene hasnt provided is that he intends this to be a secondary setup for him to keep at his parents place (unless i have mixed up customer emails!?)

i think the pharos offers an exceptionally good grind quality, ergonomic issues i would be willing to live with given the occasional use that it will receive (as i understand the situation)

their more recent grinders may also be suitable but i haven't used them so i can't comment in a meaningful way

there is also the Mahlgut? (spelling?) and probably numerous others too

kind regards

reiss.
  • Several friends are happy with the Mahlgut but the firm is now working on a motorized version: http://mahlgut-manufaktur.de/handmuehle-mahlgut-1s/

Kinu is a new player which has some very happy early users: https://www.facebook.com/Kinugrinders/
  • Loving my Helor 101.
  • Yes Reiss this is correct. It will be used as a secondary set up at my Parents house.
    Thanks
  • I own a Mahlgut MG-1 and a feldgrind. The Mahlgut is superb with dark to medium light roasts, fast (15sec for 20g) and easy to handle. It is priced just between the pharos and the hg-1. It takes a lot of effort to grind very light roast.

The feldgrind is nice and cranking is much easier, but it takes a lot of time to grind 20g (approx. 90sec).

Shot quality is slightly different but superb with both grinders. For everyday use I prefer the Mahlgut, but for the occassional shot the feldgrind is great, too.

I did not buy the pharos because I could not stand the routine of catching the grinds.

Best regards, Jochen
  • I own a Mahlgut MG-1 and a feldgrind.

For daily use I much prefer the Mahlgut. It grinds fast (20g in 15sec). Grinding is easy with dark to medium light roasts. Cranking very light roasts takes a lot of effort.

The feldgrind is easy even with light roasts but costs some time (90sec for 20g). That is ok for an occassional espresso but too long for regular use.

I did nit buy the pharos because I could not stand the weird ritual necessary for getting the grinds out of the chute.

Best regards, Jochen
  • I mostly use light roasts. Anyone have a Lido-E?? I have checked the others you all suggested. The Kinu M68 has peaked my interest. Not much on it though? Anyone??
    Thanks
  • I love my Pharos, amazing grind quality/price ratio. I would imagine that the Lido would be a bit slow for an espresso grind.

• Gene Flynn post=11869 wrote: The Kinu M68 has peaked my interest. Not much on it though? Anyone??

On a Dutch forum:

http://www.koffiepraat.nl/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7502&hilit=M68
  • hello nick

thank you for taking the time to create and post a video, it is appreciated

kind regards

reiss.
  • I still swear by my Pharos with the full Voodoodaddy mods. A little bit of effort is required, and a little bit of free bench space (you don't want your knuckles cracking into anything!) and in about 20 sec, nice fresh ground coffee.

I bounce between this and a Macap M4. Pharos for espresso and the Macap for milk coffees.
  • If you grind medium dark to dark you can't beat the HG One for quality and price. I had an espresso machine for 12 years and never had a good shot until 2 years ago when I got the HG One. Yes it's a pain to turn that dial 20+ times but I only serve espresso for one. I would not recommend it for someone that does a lot of parties. I once had a medium roast and it was very hard to grind. I'm 6'2" and can bench 315# and I could not get a smooth motion going. Also, you must mist the beans to get rid of the static and also remove the bottom to tap out what sticks. It only takes 10 seconds longer to my routine. I can't afford a 3k grinder, but I get the same results in the cup with the 1k HG One.
  • As a reminder, I still have my HG One for sale, details are in the For Sale forum.