This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

Dose/Grind/Shot time

Just wondering what timing some you find best for your L1 for the size of your dose? I use 19.7g dose to yield a 1:4 which is about 30g. It usually takes about 30-38sec. Do you think my grind is too fine?
Thanks

Comments

• Gene Flynn post=11773 wrote: I use 19.7g dose to yield a 1:4 which is about 30g.

I do not follow your 1:4 math but that is not a problem. Your recipe sounds good, especially if you like the taste.

One possible routine:

• Frans, Is that tamper convex? Is the scale a pearl? Also what grinder is that- love it... Also what do use to get the coffee into the portafilter?
    Sorry for all the questions...
    Thanks
    Gene
  • HI Gene,

Frans did the video while I produced the shot.

To answer your questions:-
    The tamper is the original Londinium with a flat bottom.
    Yes, the scale is a Pearl.
    The grinder was a HG-One. I sold it and bought a Compak E10. I would probably buy a Monolith flat or maybe an E8 as of today. With the HG-One, grind uniformity is a major problem because there is no weight on the beans and the design does not ensure the burr remain at a constant distance from one another. Noticed a big difference in shots once I upgraded.
    With the HG-One the cup is bottomless and sits on the portafilter. With the Compak, I grind directly into the portafilter.

Hope this helps.

Trevor
  • It does help Trevor- Thanks. Why would you choose a flat over conical burr grinder?
    Thanks
  • I have always used conical to date but have experienced difficulty with lighter roasts. Based on reports from others including Reiss, flat burrs provide a better grind across a wider range of beans.

In my view the purpose of a grinder is to provide grinds sized within a tight tolerance so that even extraction yields the highest volume of coffee solubles. This means that high mechanical tolerances are required and there is no place for form (pretty design) to dominate function such as we find with the HG-One.
  • Trevor, have you seen the new EG-1 from Lyn Weber? Have you tried the Monolith?
  • Hi Gene,
    I have no experienced either. There are reviews of the EG-1 on Home Barista and you can search for Monolith on this forum and the web. Monolith has been designed by an L1 user with both a conical and flat version.
    Being in Sydney, I unlikely to have an opportunity to try either.