This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

Shower screen/seals??

Well I have owned my L1 for 1.5 years now with absolutely no maintenance except for cleaning the shower screen. My shower screen is difficult to get out so in the process I damaged the screen with the screwdriver.... SO I am going to purchase a new screen and portafilter group seals. My question is which shower screen? The basic or the IMS 35 um? Also any other maintenance recommendations while I am here?
BTW, the machine is flawless, pulling one shot after another. Love it
Thanks
Gene
USA

Comments

• hi gene

thanks for writing

i think it is fair to say that the µM35 is better in that the finer mesh slows down the surge of water into the brew chamber

but it will need to be cleaned more frequently than the standard screen as the finer mesh traps more coffee grounds in it, but that means the bottom of the piston stays cleaner as fewer grounds are getting above the shower screen

if you are having trouble getting the screen off i can only presume that the head of the flat bladed screwdriver you are using has been rounded off with use

i expect it is worth investing in a new flat bladed screwdriver, as it really shouldnt be a struggle to get the screen off

remember, work it a little from the left and a little from the right, rather than on one side only

kind regards

reiss
  • Good info. That was something I definitely struggled with the first time I did my showerscreen - the better screwdriver helped.
  • If you haven't already, do get the IMS screen that Reiss is talking about. It is definitely worth it and the way the water comes through it is so even it's not funny. I reckon this screen has improved my shot quality and consistency of shots.
  • I recently changed from the IMS 200 to the IMS 35 on the recommendation of various L1 users. I haven't noticed a huge amount of differences, but I do seem to be getting more tripod pours, i.e. rather than one central cone forming I get two or usually three streams slightly off-centre.

Not sure whether this is a problem or not!
  • hi matt

when you get a moment it may be worth taking the screen off and checking that no areas on the screen are blocked, as the mesh is quite fine

hold it up to a bright light - the sun works quite well if you can find some - not much here at the moment

kind regards

reiss.