This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

About that noise...

This is really nit-picking but...

Is there an alternative to the thermostat solenoid to switch on and off the heating element?

I leave my L1 on most all day long. When I take a nap on the sofa, the solenoid is loud enough to wake me up.

Talk about First World Problems, right? My espresso machine wakes me from my afternoon nap.

Has anyone tried fitting a digital/non solenoid based thermostat or know of one that might work?

Feel free to laugh at me. I think it's wonderful that this is the ONLY thing that bothers me about my L1 :)

Comments

• As far as I know, two users so far have worked on an electronic p-stat replacement, but I'm not certain that a full step by step do-it-yourself manual is published and it seems it's not extremely easy too. The p-stat remains a very simple and effective device.

A PID would be possible and I made a PID device for one of my little La Pavonis but that is a lot of electronics and investment in hardware and setup to do. There are simpler and very cheap PIDs of course, but when using them it's a matter of deciding where the probe goes, where the PID device is kept (not in a hot place but the machine is by definition hot).

I also take naps in the room where the L1-P is but the sound is soothing to me, it keeps me asleep.

What you could do is wrap a towel around the group and switch off the machine before taking a nap, when waking up the machine is ready in no time.
  • hi david

have you got the 20A or 30A Sirai on your machine?

the 30A is considerably quieter than the 20A

kind regards

reiss.
  • I'm not sure. What's the easiest way to determine?
  • Can you post an image of it?

It should stamped 20A or 30A on it somewhere
  • I keep forgetting to pull the covers off when she's not hot.
    The water solenoid (? Sirai ?) is quite loud but that's not the issue for me as it's infrequent and only when I'm using the machine.
    If I start making espresso while asleep, I'll let you know :)

it's the thermostat that I'm trying to quiet down. I wonder if a little dynamat on the inside of the side panels would help.
    Wrapping the thermostat unit might help as well but might also give false indications and change the temperature of the boiler.

I'll try to remember to pull the panels tonight before I turn it on and take some photos.

It's not a terrible bother. I think it's more that I like to fiddle with things.

cheers,
    -David
  • You have a nap in the afternoon?
  • Hey David

How are you getting on? I just wanted to post regarding a couple of things...

The first one relates to the last post, "You have a nap in the afternoon?". While this comment may seem innocent enough, to someone who works nightshift, has a newborn baby, has an illness, or someone who just feels like a nap in the afternoon, this comment felt a bit off. We know nothing about David's life and sometimes comments like this can put new people off posting.

And on a more positive note. David, as far as I am aware there is not a thermostat unit in the machine. The Sirai on top of the boiler is a pressure switch. This controls pressure in the boiler and the resulting boiler and group head temperature is a function of the increased or decreased pressure.

I understand some people have insulated the boiler and/or side panels which then reduces the frequency of the pressure switch (the Sirai) activating. I am not sure if you would want to insulate the actual Sirai. If you did it wouldn't affect the function of it as it is reading pressure in the boiler and not temperature. But I wouldn't recommend it.

Have you had a chance to see if you have a 20A or 30A Sirai? I have a series one L1 LUXE machine and have just recently changed to the 30A. It was an easy enough job if you are ok with a few tools. Reiss was great to deal with, he promptly answered about 10 emails, sent me a PDF with step by step instructions and even Skyped at 10pm at night to double check that the installation looked ok before I turned it back on.

I'd check out what Sirai you have and look to do this upgrade to your machine if you can before you mess around with insulating the panels or the boiler.

Best of luck with whatever you do.

Cheers
    Ian