This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

The pump of LI

I have watched the video with the new pump in the Londinium LI. I like to know the pump in the latest LI is the new one or I need to pay for the upgrade?

Comments

• dear kwong,

thank you for your enquiry

subsequent batches will be made with the new pump, but current stock is not made with the new pump

kind regards

reiss.
  • I am almost ready to place order but I really want to have the new pump with the machine. When should I place order?
  • i personally don't think the new pump is transformational - it offers an improvement, that's all

if your machine arrives and the pump seems excessively noisy it will be touching either the metal chassis on the outside or the metal water box on the inside - taking a moment to reposition the pump (with the machine unplugged at the wall) will eliminate excessive pump noise very quickly and easily, with no tools needed

if it is a deal breaker for you i can include the new pump in the box with your machine

kind regards

reiss.
  • Hello Reiss,

thank you very much for your reply and sorry for post the same question twice before I know it will take a while to appear.

It seems include the new pump will be the best solution for me. What should I do when I place order? Probably I will place order at the end of May because I am traveling at the moment.
  • there is a free text field in the order process for you to add notes to me - stick something in there about it. have a good trip!
  • Reiss,

Not sure this is the right place as I have a "multiple question"
    I'm in the middle of what each one is going through at some stage "should I change my machine...which upgrade" as we know, same as for motorcycle it's hard to stay wise and not look for something better ...
    So I have a Vivaldi La Spazziale, making great coffee but using it 99% for my ristretti and 1% for visitors..
    - Q1: price. I see that people write about the L1 being cheaper than the Salvatore..Am I mistaken or the L1 is 1650GBP?
    - Q2: some people say: "my L1 doesn't have pump" even though this is not the main reason for change (flavor is), silence is a point in my future lever machine, so does the L1 has a pump like I heard in some You Tube videos?

- Optionnal Q: is this Rangitoto behind your profile pic? I miss Takapuna, I'm now living in Montreal Canada. Btw, where would be the best place (meaning the best deal) to get an L1 once I make up my mind.

thanks!!
  • hi gilles

thank you for posting.

1. the L1 is GBP1650

2. assuming you are unwilling or unable to plumb your machine in, and you do not want to play steam burn roulette with a boiler fill machine, then you are left with a tank fed design which needs to overcome the internal pressure of the boiler in order to load the water into the boiler. this is why the L1 has a pump, but it is only used to fill the boiler; it is not used to load water into the group

3. yes, very observant, that is Rangitoto in the background

4. we are a web only business - we chose this model because people who want lever machines are geographically diverse / it is a niche product, so we would struggle if we had a retail presence anywhere as the customer concentration is simply not there to support the overheads that a retail presence brings

kind regards

reiss.
  • Giles,

I have recently upgraded from the La Spaziale Dream T to the Londinium 1 (and grinder from Mahlkonig ProM to HG One).
    Two observations that may be of value to you:
    1) The increase in espresso quality is impressive.
    2) The noise of the pump is standard for a vibe pump, but it really doesn't take long to complete its work.

Kevin Gordon
  • Thanks Kevin, much appreciated. This is exactly what I need as some people told me that it wasn't an upgrade, however they were not in a position to give advice as they didn't make the move.
    I'll see if I can get use to the idea of the noise, I was quite happy to go silent, (still wondering though, as the video shows that a short steam in a small cup gives 20" of active pump...this won't make everyone happy at home..) I usually get up at 5am and use a My Pressi (so far) until the rest of the family is up...
    Btw, on my La Spazziale the pump seems only active when I switch on the second boiler to make latte or else for my friends.. during the week it's only espresso and I can remember the last time I heard the pump by the way.
    thanks enjoy your coffee I'm glad you took some time to give your feedback
  • - apologies for hijacking this thread - KG

Gilles,

The only thing I missed from the La Spaziale is the timer, however I'm running a Vera Lite with a Z-Wave Smart Energy Switch (Aeon Labs DSC06106-ZWUS). The vibe pump usually fires up each morning with the on signal. In addition, this system also allows the option of remotely turning the Londinium on.

KG
  • Gilles post=11334 wrote: I usually get up at 5am and use a My Pressi (so far) until the rest of the family is up...

The grinder probably makes more noise than the vibe pump would (briefly).
  • Thanks Frans.
    I ususally grind just enough for the first 2 shots the night b4...
    cheers anyway

and thanks to everyone for your input, great community here!
  • Gilles post=11348 wrote: I ususally grind just enough for the first 2 shots the night b4...

Then you have 'old' coffee the next morning which may also cause strange flow. It's good to know all the details exactly, like these ;-)
  • Absolutely. Coffee is perishable, and while beans are quite durable, once they are ground, especially to the level of fineness required for espresso, the window within we have to work... for optimum flavor... is quite small.

At least this is my understanding, and what I've always been taught.
  • All right buddies
    May I suggest to return this thread to its original purpose which is the PUMP
    I originally inquired about the pump noise so please stick to this topic or crate a thread .

Thanks very much Kevin for your positive input very friendly and helpful, thanks also to Reiss for your answers.
    As per Frans and Salvatore sorry for the misunderstanding but I never requested any grinder noise or grind oxidation feedback. I know these facts since years as I guess we all do here. I couldn't find anything positively and friendly halpful in your posts. I have no " strange flow trouble" and I'm aware that my first early morning 2 shots can't be as good as the the third one when everyone is up.
    Just trying to pursue my quest for a better espresso if possible with a lower noise level without compromising the flavour.
    So far I only can do my best, which is accepting 8 hours old grind in an air tight dark container which allows everyone to be happy in my family until sun rises.
    I will continue to learn about lever and hopefully get one and also check a manual grinder. Or may be this is just an obsession which will clear and I'll keep going with my humble home barista level making acceptable espresso with my Mini Vivaldi and my compak.
    Take care everyone I wish you the best happiness in your cup.
    If other guys here experienced going from pump machine to lever, I'd be happy to hear their feedback , may be we should create a thread or PM me. Cheers
  • Gilles post=11352 wrote: I couldn't find anything positively and friendly halpful in your posts.

My sincere apologies if I ruined your mood in any way.

The suggestion to use fresh grinds was made to help you enjoy coffee better. As a very experienced home barista you know that already, but I knew/know very little about your experience.

Back on topic, the L1 pump noise is very minimal but if one is highly sensitive, it can still bother people of course.

At my girl friend's place where I am now, a Rocket pump machine and a Mini Mazzer are ready to go from 6am when my girl friend and her daughter are asleep close by but I make my first coffee fresh anyway and get no complaints.

So noise level sensitivities are different between different people.
  • allrighty I think I found the vid which scared me regarding the noise of the pump
    it's here
    before somebody "unnamed ;) " jumps on me....I understand that pumps have been replaced, it lasts only a couple of secs and this vid is 3 years old

Btw, Frans, it takes much more to ruin my mood and I also have a tremendous respect for the time you took to write feedbacks or share videos...it is highly appreciated when you start the process about keeping the wife or getting a Londinum :) the only point I could start to hate you ... is .... that I am moving toward the L1 and HG-one now .... if I keep my family together (being the only coffeeholic) this might takes birthdays, father's days and Xmas until 2050...

I was exploring the Strega this morning as a chap in Canada was having a sale.... which would save me a lot...but don't like the pump stuff...still doing my DD but it looks like everything is bringing me back to L1... (it could also well be the Reiss effect, answering sharply, promptly and completely to any request sure creates a safe feeling that CA$3400 + customs ... might not be that much afterall..:lol: :unsure: ) thanks Reiss, please check north shore beaches for me ... I'll be back for sure
  • Relieved to read that!

On the video sound in that clip: it is more a demonstration of problematic "automatic" sound level recording than a machine issue. The recording device is trying to save a certain "constant" level of noise, so that when it's practically silent, the slow warm up of the boiler sounds like an incoming tornado. Also the grinder sounds like it's out to eat and destruct the entire kitchen ;-)

If there was a background sound, like music, all would sound very different.

It seems the camera was leaning on the metal of the L1 and if so it was physically picking up the vibes of the pump too.

If I stand too close to my camera, my breathing on the recording seems like a dinosaur with fever.

I do have a professional sound device which can be set on one certain level but I very rarely take the time to use it.
  • Kevin Gordon post=11333 wrote: Giles,

I have recently upgraded from the La Spaziale Dream T to the Londinium 1 (and grinder from Mahlkonig ProM to HG One).
    Two observations that may be of value to you:
    1) The increase in espresso quality is impressive.
    2) The noise of the pump is standard for a vibe pump, but it really doesn't take long to complete its work.

Kevin Gordon

Hi Kevin,
    first step taken yesterday, put the La Spazziale and Compak for sale and bought an HG-one
    "only" the L1 and an Acaia scale to go now :)
    enjoy your week end
  • your taste in avatars is improving B)
  • Thanks Master
    If you keep being nice, one day I might put my ugly face, unless this is a mod privilege :)
    Cheers
  • ha! sorry for over-reaching, I'm just not into what i presume is a horror movie?