This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

Beginner's experience

Got started with my new L1 the other week, and just wanted to post my initial setting up learning curve in case anybody else has a similar experience...

Assembling the group the first time, there seemed to be plenty of grease on the seals so I figured I'd be good to go straight away. First following the instructions to lower seals into the bore in a nutating motion, I then drove out any excess grease, fit the shower screen, and got ready to start pulling shots.

The first two or three were surprisingly very good. Not perfect, there was still dialling in to be done with the grind, but already the clarity in the taste was streets ahead of what I was getting with my old Gaggia.

However, soon the lever started to skip after preinfusion, almost catching, then slipping and catching high, thus yielding very short shots.

I imagined this was down to there not being enough grease on the inner surface of the bore, so I got some Loxeal on order. When this arrived, I removed the group head and found that yes, the inside of the group was pretty dry. A good greasing later, there was no improvement, with the lever still slipping during the extraction.

Next, I wondered if this was down to my technique. I was aware that it was possible the seals were the issue, but before replacing and potentially wasting a good set, I wanted to ensure this wasn't down to basket prep or my inexperience with levers. Fortunately, Reiss offered his help via Skype. With me working on an E8 redspeed grinding into an 18g VST, we worked through the variables, taking the grind considerably finer, testing doses from 18g down to 16g, and trying progressively longer preinfusions.

However, the lever continued to catch high, so instead we decided to try new seals. I replaced these the next morning, following the video instructions from the Permanent files and regreasing the group. Each shot I've pulled since has behaved much more as expected, with the lever catching at around 45 degrees. This now leaves to me the fun part of familiarising myself with the L1, simplifying my prep and dialling in my grind.

Bottom line, I think, is to not get discouraged. A bedding in period was expected, but chatting to Reiss offered some assurance on what I was doing as well as some insight into how to get the best out of my machine. Don't waste time and coffee wondering; give him a call!

Comments

• a great avatar fran - you've prompted me to change mine to something more personable. thank you for taking the time to post. kind regards, reiss.
  • Cool to read this.

I also got an L1 (second hand) a few weeks ago and am having fun with the change in routine from my old e61 HX machine.

Question, when the lever is just arriving to the resting position (after flushing), i hear a bit of a groan. Does that mean I need more grease??

I greased the bore when I received my machine and the piston/seals, but didn't change the seals...

Lever seems to catch at 45deg.
  • Fran Donnelly post=11303 wrote: A bedding in period was expected, but chatting to Reiss offered some assurance on what I was doing as well as some insight into how to get the best out of my machine. Don't waste time and coffee wondering; give him a call!

Very well done! A little while ago I assisted another L1 owner with a similar issue. A combination of the proper seals and (also assisted by Reiss online) the appropriate grind and pre-infusion did the trick.
  • Thanks, Frans. I'm already enjoying the consistency I can get with the L1. It's a huge step up from the Gaggia Classic I've been using for years, and while I saw a massive improvement there when I upgraded my grinder to an E8 last year, there were still plenty of subpar shots for every good one.

Already I'm enjoying seeing the control I have over the variables and the immediate effects of adjusting them with the L1. Currently, I'm working through a kilo of a medium/dark blend - darker than my usual preference for light roasts - as a cheap practice bean, but I'm really looking forward to breaking out some naturals and hitting the flavour notes I couldn't get previously.
  • Timothy Nakhla post=11306 wrote: Question, when the lever is just arriving to the resting position (after flushing), i hear a bit of a groan.

It's nothing to worry about. Mine does, at the start when I pull the lever and just before resting. I just tried but I've never paid attention to it before. It's a heavy mechanical tool with a spring so it's not a surprise that it would be audible. Some owners have learned to push and align the spring a little and then it went away, or went away a little. I just make fine espresso ;-)
  • hi tim

I'm sure you appreciate that these spring lever groups are mechanical in nature and therefore some minor mechanical noise is to be expected if you are in a dead quiet kitchen, in the same way that you can hear the ticking of a mechanical wrist watch, but not a quartz movement: it is not indicative that your machine is defective in any way

These groups are designed for busy commercial settings where such minor noises would never be heard

Occasionally customers have reported groups that have been quite noisy, to the point where i understand that it is intrusive in a domestic kitchen and in these situations it is worth spending the time pushing the top of the spring into different positions in search of quieter operation - often one millimetre or less of movement will transform the situation

If you are practically minded you will not find it difficult at all to make such adjustment on your own, but if not i am willing to help you via Skype or preferably FaceTime as the image quality is much better

You will feel quite easily in your fingers when you push the spring hard enough right at the top to get it to move

Kind regards

reiss.