This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

FYI- Lyn Weber Workshops Blind Shaker

Just in case anyone is curious about this little gadget- I bought one and it arrived today.

I'm using the Compak R120 as an espresso grinder, single dosing it. In the past I felt it is easier to dose into an HG-1 blind tumbler vs the basket in my PF. The tumbler has an opening that can fit both a 58mm or smaller basket. The blind Shaker is designed for the 58mm basket only. It also has a top that lets you (you guessed it) shake it to break up any clumps and distribute your grounds evenly.

I didn't find any instructions on the proper way to use it, so I started by shaking vertically first, then swirling horizontally. Once you place the shaker on the basket you pull out the stopper, I rolled it around just like they show in a video for their blind tumbler. All that took less than 6 seconds, I'm sure.

Once in the basket the dose required a small amount of grooming, then a light tamp.

The shot was great, looked great, tasted great. This is the first shot pulled with the shaker, maybe I got lucky. Sure, it's too early to tell but I feel this shaker works better than the tumbler for me.

The shaker did rattle a teeny-tiny bit with the lid on. The stopper top wasn't quite up to the cover. I fixed that with a small piece of transparent tape on the bottom of the cover. Even without the tape I doubt any ground coffee would escape, I'm just averse to rattles.

Since the tumbler that I have will go with the HG-1 when I sell it, this made sense for me. If you're grinding into a basket and getting good results with your current routine you can pass on it. $60 + $10US shipping is pricey for another gadget.
It will last forever of course.

My hope is that it will give me a faster prep with consistent results while still being 'clean.' I suspect it will do just that.

I should point out that I'm using a VST basket. The VST baskets just LOVE to criticize my prep. With a sloped basket the tumbler might even be faster to use, you might be able to skip grooming and just tamp.

Something like this could make life easier for folks using their L-X machines so I thought I would share this here. Feel free to remove it if it's inappropriate.

Rich

Comments