This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

L2 Installation question!

Hi so i'll be installing the machine today. We've bought the neccesary stuff except the plug top. From the manual it says UK spec for the L2 is 20amp single phase. While over here it's been a hassle finding a 20amp plug top (been looking everywhere) question is can i use a 13amp plug top instead? I've got a spare which is just ready to be wired up. Thanks a lot.

Comments

• Hello

13A amp isn't really enough; 16A you could get away with safely

I would have expected you to hard wire it in as you would an electric oven, rather than a plug and socket

It is certainly possible to use a plug and socket, but it is more common to hard wire

Kind regards

Reiss
  • Thats what i thought too! Will go with hard wiring then.
  • Hi Reiss. So i've got 16amps fuse right now just for temporary as i will be hard wiring them to the truck power supply instead. Since i wanna run it at home and get my settings. Now i'm confused and in need of an advice. I need to get a pump since the water line from the kitchen is only 1.2bar if no one uses it. I will need a water pump for the truck anyway. I've found some small ones with high pressure, 4-7 bar. But the rated flow rate are only 8L/min. I havw very little knowledge when it comes to flow rate and espresso machine so what do you suggest and between how many L/min should i be targetting for?
  • hello hafidz

16A will work fine

get a rotary pump, but flow rate doesnt matter too much unless you are drawing a lot of hot water off through the tap

3 to 3.5 bar of pressure is what you need

not sure if flo-jet set ups are available where you are, but they are know to work well with the L2

kind regards

reiss.
  • Okay so the particular pump i'm looking at could be it. Its a diaphragm water pump similar as flowjet's. I've contacted few water pump supplier here no one seem to have one that suits the machine ...
  • you don't want a piston pump as it will have a pulse in it

as long as it delivers within that 3 to 3.5 bar range, i think it will be fine

it doesnt need to deliver at the flow rate of a fire hydrant
  • Hi Reiss. So the plumbing guys finished off their work. Turned on the water line and we noticed a leak from the steel braided hose that came with the machine on the end side. We reduced it by tpe taping it. Followed the manual, had it filled manually, switched off the manual filling valve then turned the machine on. White light stays on for about 15 minutes. Pressure gauge measures 1.5 bar. I turned on the steam wand, water splurged out and the presssure reads 0 now. From the manual it says that the blue light will turn on after a few second but i havent got it to turn blue. The heater is definitely warm though. Water level seems full as well.
  • I've also noticed a leak from top of the boiler.
  • I suspect because the boiler is full? If so how do i get some of the water out?
  • You did a manual fill. At what point did you stop the filling? I assume you monitored the water level on the sight glass?
  • I switched off the valve when it was quarter pass half, i'd say 3/4. I'm supposed to switch it off on the half mark isn't it?
  • Glad to hear the boiler isn't yet overflowing.

You mentioned water came out the steam valve.

One suggestion I can think of: if you switch the machine on with steam and hot water valves open, I assume a lot of superfluous water will flow out as it heats up. Then close these as soon as the light indicating "water in" is on.
  • Right. So if im understanding this correctly i'm supposed to reduce the water to the right level so it can heats up with the right water level? Will try and do that as i need to replace the steel braided hose that comes with the machine because of the leak on the connection between the hose and the head.
  • HAFIDZ DIN post=11209 wrote: a leak from the steel braided hose that came with the machine on the end side.

Which of the two ends of the hose?

It sounds as if it is not fitted properly, either too loose or too tight or onto a coupling with the wrong thread?
  • Will take a picture when i get back. I don't think it's the coupling and it was tighten carefully. I've seen a video on youtube with this issue as well. Here's a link.
  • That video looks like someone went crazy with the white tape, successfully preventing any safe coupling ;-)
  • Haha. Alright will update on how things goes when i get back and continue.
  • So i've put the steam toggle down with the machine is turned on. Water have stopped flowing from the wand now. No blue light but i can definitely hear the water is being boiled. From the sight glass water level is full.
  • Okay so now water and steam are splurging out. Still no blue light and pressure gauge are at 0 (since just now by the way / when i turned on the machine)
  • Okay everything seems normal. Pressure are at 1.3bar now. Hot water coming out. Steam working and i've also pulled a shot. But no blue or red light still
  • That is real live updates! Do watch out for the water level, you do not want it too low either. Do not fry the element.

Of course if the valves are open, no boiler pressure can exist. That is perfectly normal, basic science. If you boil eggs, there is also no pressure in the open pot.

If in doubt, book a live and free Facetime suport session with Reiss.
  • Okay so i've managed to get the blue light on (by turning the toggle for hot water and steam on for a minute) . Now i know it is working correctly.

But now i need a little help on the extraction side, i have no experience with a lever machine. I do understand here and there of how it works but :

1) How do i control the volume of the water coming out? Back with my Appia and my beans i'd go for 1:3 ratio. 18g ground = 54g espresso in 27 second. Then i'll fine tune to get the taste i desire. I cant seem to get around there with the londinium. The closest i've had was 27s (Starting from the first drop (1g) in the cup) since i'm using brewista as my scale tool. But at that time my espresso was already 61g and it the extraction was just too fast and taste horrible. Am i starting with the wrong foot with this lever machine using my pump machine set up as a guide?
  • There are many videos from different owners with Londinium lever espresso routines to watch and learn from. One example you might like to check is this one recently filmed by a friend of mine, Roemer Overdiep, in my home: