This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

Londinium L1 maintenance

Hi
What maintenance I should perform for my L1 with direct connection to the water

Comments

• hi yechiel

it is a little bit difficult to answer without knowing what items you may have replaced as i understand you purchased your machine in june 2014?

if you are using a water filter it needs to be replaced at least once a year, and more frequently if its processing volume is being consumed in less than a year - this is of critical importance if you have a softening filter/hard water

replace the piston seals when they start leaking, but you should get 18 months out of them in a domestic environment, easily

clean the shower screen every 3 months and the bottom of the piston (without opening the group)

wax the handles with butcher's block oil whenever they feel dry - a good time to do this is before you go away for a few days so it can soak into the wood

if the toggle valves cease to operate in a smooth manner it is time to carefully unscrew the chrome end caps (without scratching them) and wipe off the old grease and ground metal dust with a dry cloth and then re-lube with a touch of loxeal no.4 grease

i think that is about it

kind regards

reiss.
  • Hi Reiss,
    My Londinium is from Jun 2014, That is correct
    I have a direct connection to the water.
    How should I clean the bottom of the piston?
    How can I clean from hard water at the boiler?
    Thank you
  • hi yechiel

if you take a cloth or kitchen sponge and soak it in a warm solution of some proprietary coffee solvent like Cafiza, or whatever brand you have to hand, you will be able to wipe the base of the clean without removing it (after you have taken off the shower screen obviously)

if you have allowed limescale into the machine to the extent that it is impairing the performance of the machine you will need to remove the boiler and descale it

customer ron sanders has recently completed this task and he might post a few images of each step that he went through

kind regards

reiss.
  • Usually, your nearby aquarium shop can sell you a droplet method to test the hardness of your water.

TDS (Total Dissolved Solids) tells you something, but not what solids have been dissolved and what solids might solidify and damage your machine over time.
  • hi yechiel!

as frans says, a TDS meter is measuring all the solids that are dissolved in the water, when you only want to know the subset of that group which is the portion that forms scale when the water is heated, almost always just magnesium carbonate and calcium carbonate

we sell such a kit, but as frans says, an equivalent product will be sold local to you also

kind regards

reiss.
  • Hi, I hope this is not seen as a thread hijack. I swear I saw a 3-part video post by Reiss that showed how to clean the disassemble the grouphead, and replace the seals. I must have spent an hour looking, but couldn't find it again. Any ideas what/were I saw?

Thanks,
    Bruce.
  • hi bruce!

its in the permanent file

yell if you need help

kind regards

reiss.