This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

leak from element gasket

hi all

yesterday I've noticed a serious leakage from the side of the boiler - please see attached photo.

I need help - don't know what to do.

thanks in advanced,
Ziv.

Comments

• hi ziv, thanks for posting

when you say 'serious leakage' do you mean water pouring out somewhere, or are you referring to the mineral deposits that can be seen forming in the images above?

kind regards

reiss.
  • hi Reiss,

I'm talking about a really strong leakage of water.

I can't use the machine for now, since after 10 minutes there is water all over
  • ok, where is the water coming from? (an image with you pointing with your finger, or a pencil, at the point of the leak would work)
  • [strike][/strike]Hi all,

please see the attached picture. the areas of leakage are marked in red color.

please help me!!!

Attached files

• Carefully taking out the boiler unscrewing all including that bolt and have a good look at it and inside the boiler seems the best right now. Send a picture of the inside of the boiler (a tiny cell phone camera peeping through the hole and a flashlight shining in from the top).
    Do you know your water quality and what filtration do you use?
  • hi ziv

thank you for the additional detail, now i can make meaningful contribution

ok, so you have a leak at the boiler gasket

you will need the service kit http://londiniumespresso.com/product/68-londinium-i-full-service-kit?lang=en or if you only need the element gasket http://londiniumespresso.com/product/147-l1-element-gasket?lang=en

i would suggest that it is prudent to order http://londiniumespresso.com/product/150-high-temp-limit-stat-m4-stud?lang=en and http://londiniumespresso.com/product/151-brass-mounting-rod-for-high-temperature-limit-stat as you may break one or both parts when you remove the element

and you will need a 38mm socket, and a breaker bar to drive it with if you don't already have access to one, and an engineer's hammer ideally (a carpenter's hammer will do if necessary)

when you have those parts go to the permanent file and read the step by step guide i have placed there on how to change the element http://londiniumespresso.com/forum?catid=27&id=715&view=topic

i am happy to provide oversight via FaceTime, or Skype

do you have a series one or series two machine?

kind regards

reiss.
  • Hi Riess

just got the service kit. what is an engineer's hammer? what i use it for?
  • Hi Ziv

An engineer's hammer looks like this:

If you only have a claw hammer, that will also work

Happy to provide oversight via FaceTime

Kind regards

Reiss.
  • Looks like my L1 has just developed yhe same problem, but not as serious as I only have steam escaping from the same area. Sounds like a new boiler gasket is due as well

• How does one empty the boiler prior to removing the element? as my boiler is full.
  • hi Aaron

If you don't have a 38mm socket bring the whole thing around to my house and I'll do it while you wait

Just let me know in advance

Reiss
  • hi Reiss, would you be available today for a Skype session?
  • hi ziv

not this evening, but anytime tomorrow, or over the weekend is good - just let me know

kind regards

reiss.
  • Hi Reiss

I've already removed the element, but the electricity cable has been crushed a little due to the 38mm socket - see attached picture.

what should i do now?
  • hi ziv

that's surprising but never mind, it can be fixed

i can't tell too much from that image I'm afraid - is the yellow/gold colour the flex, or is it exposed wire?

if it is an exposed wire then i think it would be prudent to replace to entire lead, which i can add to our store for you if you like

if the power lead is much longer than you need you may be able to shorten it and reuse it

however, i am not familiar with the laws in Israel governing home electrical work, nor your proficiency in such matters

if Israeli law requires, or you do not feel competent, you should get a qualified electrician to replace or shorten the lead

if the yellow/gold colour is just one of the flexes covering an individual wire and no wires are exposed and no flex chewed through to the copper wire then i would be included to wrap electrical tape around the lead at that point to keep the moisture out and leave it alone

let me know

reiss.
  • ps - there is a special tool for getting the cable grommet in and out of the chassis
  • Hi Riess

actually, that's not surprising at all, since there is not enough room for the 38mm socket. it would have been better if the electricity cable was going out of the machine in the right corner and not in the middle, this way it was easier to assemble the socket.

anyhow it's will be nice if you can send me an extra cable and tell me which tool do i need in order to replace it. i don't think I've done something wrong in the way i replaced the part, so i don't understand why i have to pay for a replacement for the electricity cable, but if you think I'm wrong - by all means - tell me how much should i pay.

thanks in advance,
    Ziv
  • hi ziv

i requested a price for the power lead on friday and will add it to the webshop as soon as i receive a reply, hopefully later today when the UK come online

kind regards

reiss.