This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

L1 developed a leak from the anti-vacuum valve

Today my L1 started leaking from the anti-vacuum valve. When heating up it starts bubbling out the top of this valve. The L1 is less than 6 months old and I've always used a filter jug and filter in the water tank so no scale should be present.

Problem started after I had made a couple of flat whites and I noticed the pump wasn't turning off from topping up the boiler. At this point I noticed the water coming from under the L1.

Any help or advice would be appreciated as my caffeine levels are dropping!

Comments

• Not exactly the same but, mine started hissing after a few days use from the anti-vacuum valve. A few taps with a spoon and it seals fine.

You might have some debris caught in the valve.
    With the machine cold, grab the plunger on top of the valve and excercise it up and down and give it a few turns. Not the valve but the stem that sticks up. No tools should be needed or used.

Once warmed up, you can press down on the same stem with a something other than your finger (it's hot) to exercise it a few more times.
    Should help to work out whatever is stuck in there.

If water is gushing out, you might have a torn o-ring in the valve. Easy to fix but required removing the valve from the boiler to have a look see. <- last resort IMO.<br />
    Hope this helps.
  • Here's a pic of a typical anti-vacuum valve to see how it works and why fiddling with the stem might help.
    That's a tiny o-ring in the bottom. If that gets damaged, the thing will leak. If something gets wedged under the o-ring it will also leak.

• Many thanks for the advice. I will try it out later when I have time.
  • All sorted. Just had to hold the valve up so once pressure built it kept it extended which then sealed it off. Will keep an eye on it from now on, and won't feel confident in using the remote switch for a while as don't want it leaking while I'm making my way home!!
  • i appreciate the contribution of others here in my absence

david's comments were correct for his machine, but your issue is different russel

there is nothing wrong with the anti-vac valve on your machine russel, but rather the fill sensor has not functioned

in my experience this is almost always due to water that is too soft, i.e. less than 30ppm temporary hardness (calcium carbonate & magnesium carbonate) being used in the machine

measure the hardness of your water and report back - we offer a suitable test kit here if it is of interest - http://londiniumespresso.com/product/64-temporary-hardness-water-test-kit?lang=en

kind regards

reiss.