This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

Steam cut off and piston gasket replacemet

Hi,

I own an L1 machine, one of the older versions, plumbed in without a pump.
Recently I have had an issue with the steam wand. Steam doesn't stop the moment I return the lever to the center position, it takes a little while for the steam to stop. The longer I froth, the longer it takes the steam to cut off. I guess about 5-6 seconds delay.
Is there any suggestion where in the steam wand I should look for the problem, and perhaps dis-assembly instructions?

Second, I would like to replace the piston seals as the lever is catching quite high. Is there any video instruction for that?

P.S. I am also wondering if the L1 enhancement kit will be available for the pump less plumbed in version I have?

Raul

Comments

• Raul Farkash post=10930 wrote: Second, I would like to replace the piston seals as the lever is catching quite high.

Always good to have at least one spare set ready. No video here but it's easy enough:

http://kostverlorenvaart.blogspot.nl/2014/05/londinium-i-group-cleaning-seals.html

As long as you take your time and not rush / force things, you and the seals will be fine and intact. I have one special tool to replace seals but before that I just used a small allen key and grease to wriggle/carry them carefully to their proper spot with the edges pointing the right way.
  • hi raul

thanks for posting! my suggestion would be to put the slightest sheen of Loxeal no.4 on the o-rings on the plunger in the valve

don't make the mistake that i did once and try another H1/FDA approved silicone grease for potable water situations etc (i.e. it looked good on paper - ticked all the boxes) but it reacted with the o-ring seals on the plunger, causing them to swell and the plunger to stick and jam in the bore of the valve as a result. don't use too much loxeal either or you will clog the plunger in the bore of the valve - you will move the toggle off centre to open the valve, which it will, but then the spring won't be able to push the plunger back out when you return the toggle to the centre resting position

http://londiniumespresso.com/forum?catid=27&id=181&view=topic

kind regards

reiss.
  • frans has answered your piston seals question and the kit will be able to be fitted to L1 that are plumbed in, yes.
  • Thanks guys for the replies.
    I'll give it a go next week when im back.

P.S.
    I dont need to use 2 wrenches to hold the far side of the steam wand before twisting the closer side?
  • An extra wrench of the exact right size to make sure you only turn one and the other remains still, is a good idea. Even if it's not absolutely necessary it's good common sense, I think. Being careful won't hurt.
  • if you are only taking the end cap off then hold the nut for the steam (or hot water) with your hand - it will be enough to stop the valve turning - whilst using a wrench (delicately, so as not to mark the chrome) to undo the end cap, when it is cold obviously