This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

What did you pay in import taxes & duties?

2»

Comments

• Greg Green post=1428 wrote: Hi Kelsey

I thought the current rules are for importation into Australia for items over AUD1000 were 10% GST on goods plus shipping plus 5% duty plus a customs clearance fee.

In my case my L1 plus shipping cost GBP1557.37 which equated to AUD2465 at early March exchange rates.
    In late May DHL charged me AUD410.63 in fees but didn't provide a breakdown of costs. By my calculations this equated to 15% plus about AUD40 which is what I expected.

I don't understand how on a more expensive machine with less favorable exchange rates you were charged lower importation costs.

Hi Greg,

Fortunately I was charged what I was expecting to pay. Based on recent info from Reiss and armed with a bit of info from other forums, I'd come to the conclusion that duty is not chargeable on espresso machines, given the right harmony code.

Knowing that customs can sometimes be a bit over-zealous about applying duty, I was ready with the harmony code to contest it, should extra charges be levied.

I'm lucky that wasn't necessary!

Regards,

Kelsey
  • Hi Riess and Kelsey

Thanks for the information, I wasn't aware that there were exemptions to the 5% duty, I hadn't seen that list before.
    My biggest issue is that DHL issued a pay and we will release request and I paid, but they didn't provide any followup documentation and didn't answer my request for such. The service was excellent but without documentation there's nothing I can do.
  • i think you can definitely go back to them and ask for a copy of the customs invoice

all you need to quote is the waybill number

if you pay a business money you are entitled to a receipt

if they stone wall you let me know and i will get DHL UK to give them a tune up

it can only be control-p on their computer and its less than 12months since so i can't see any reason for it being too hard
  • $79.71 to New York.
  • Hi all,

I just received my Londinium I and Compak K10 Fresh via DHL to Geelong (a regional city near Melbourne, Australia) in a very fast 5 days.

I'm happy to report that for some reason I paid a grand total of $0 in duty and taxes. I can't explain why as the total order definitely blew the $1000 GST and duty free ceiling away and I did nothing other than to place an order and wait for delivery.

Maybe it was because the items were shipped at a very busy time of year?

Neil

Edit - I've just read that other people have been billed some days or weeks after delivery so I won't count my chickens for now but I'm surprised DHL released the equipment to me without taking my money first.
  • They know where you live.... :)
  • Reviving this from the dead just as a new point of reference. Just paid $118.17 in taxes/duties/fees for my L-R delivery to Oregon.
  • I purchased a Londinium I last October and paid $106.26 import fees here in the USA.

I highly recommend anybody expecting a machine to be proactive by calling DHL as soon as the tracking status shows that it is in Customs. My machine sat there for a couple of days waiting for me to pay the fees, but nobody contacted me. I finally called DHL, paid the fees over the phone, and the shipment was cleared and started moving again.

Rocky
  • yes, i completely agree rocky.
  • $152.72 for an LR plus accessories to the Denver, Colorado metro area this past week.
  • Arrived from UK to Atlanta GA DHL center in 1 day. Taxes/Duties/Fees paid: $101.69

Will be delivered at my house tomorrow sometime.
  • Matt Segall post=12995 wrote: Arrived from UK to Atlanta GA DHL center in 1 day. Taxes/Duties/Fees paid: $101.69

Will be delivered at my house tomorrow sometime.

Nice!

Did DHL contact you?
  • No, I saw on tracking that payment was due. You can check here: https://mypayment.dhl.ca/DHLMyPaymentusa pop your waybill + email addy in and it will tell you what duties you owe.
  • Thanks! I'll check it out!

Edit: Waybill not found. I probably have to wait until it gets to the US.
  • Yeah I went to it when tracking said that payment was required for dispatch
  • I'm really trying to be patient, but it's not working :)
  • I received the notification from DHL to pay the duties this morning.

$123 to the Chicago area. Pretty much what I expected.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • 230 in CAD, with dhl fee, canada, they also ask for my business tax import number(did have one) so it delayed the arrival of the machine. Ordered it under my company and personal name so custom refuse to release if correct number with revenu Canada wasnot provided...