This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

size of the NPF opening - reasoning?

Does anyone know why the naked on the L1 is done like it is, ie. with a much smaller hole than other NPFs on the market? Curious if it's possible to swap the one I have for one with a bigger bore preferably done at the factory?

Regards,
T.

Comments

• hi tom
    it is forged by the same people who make the group
    it gives strength - it is a web in engineering terms
    kind regards
    reiss.
  • Hi Reiss,

is it really neccessary in terms of strength? I've used loads of rather extreme cut NPFs and they were all fine, in this case it sort of defeats the purpose of the naked PF as it partially blocks the basket. It would be much easier to use if you could see the bottom of the basket from the side imho.

T.
  • that's your call tom, I'm just explaining the background to it

it has been designed to withstand being dropped on a concrete floor in a cafe environment
  • I'd be curious to see if it's an issue with other users, still thanks for the info Reiss.

T.
  • FWIW our bottomless has a Breville 22g basket in it, no problems. IIRC when I put the VST 18g in it the hole was just big enough to accommodate the spread of that one too.

That's been my experience with it.
  • VST 20g also works well for me. The extraction does not simply rain straight down from every hole, but it flows towards the center below the basket.
  • I must be the only lazy one not liking to bend down all the way to see how the shot is flowing. With more extreme cutout NPFs you only need to bend down slightly to see everything from the side. Guess I'll keep using my modded Gaggia NPF then...

T.
  • If you place your cup on a shaving mirror you have a panoramic view of the extraction and you can keep your back straight! ;-)
  • Frans Goddijn post=10873 wrote: If you place your cup on a shaving mirror you have a panoramic view of the extraction and you can keep your back straight! ;-)

That's what I do, with a nice desk light nearby it works fine.
  • I've found that I can see the pour just fine by the reflection in the polished stainless base.