This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

Heating issue

Still very much enjoying my L1 but, recently it stopped heating by itself. Only when I hit the right side of the L1 with my flat hand the red light pops on. In my experience this procedure also works with other malfunctioning electrical devices but only for so long.

Any ideas for a more permanent solution?

Comments

• Excellent and well established temporary revitalization of anything electro-mechanic.

Opening up the machine and seeing what wire is half-connected exactly could also help in the long run. Instead of whacking the entire machine, probing one wire / connection after the other could demonstrate which one is "it"

Also, the p-stat could be ready for replacement.

Taking the machine to Peter van der Weerd at www.kafko.nl could make it very easy. Every time I visited him with any machine was most most pleasant and educational. There must be pictures of my L1-visit to him too, would have to look that link up.
  • http://kostverlorenvaart.blogspot.nl/2013/11/different-vacuum-breaker-on-londinium-i.html

Peter knows his stuff, has been servicing espresso machines since his teenage years, he has lots of parts in stock and you can watch and learn from him as he does the job. Often, his lovely wife even treats visitors to coffee and tostis, most delicious. Well worth the trip any time. It also empowers you to do more servicing yourself afterwards.
  • Thank you Frans!

You are right, whacking the machine is probably not such a good idea..
    Will take it to www.kafko.nl

Thanks!
  • hi frank

thank you for posting here

i expect the thermal fuse on the end of the element is getting tired

it is an inexpensive part which you can probably source locally - just be sure to replace it with one of the same temperature specification

if you would prefer i can add it to the parts section of the website here

kind regards

reiss.
  • the thermal fuse simply unscrews off the end of the brass rod - be gentle or you may break the stud off

the temperature rating of the thermal fuse is quite clearly stamped on it
  • Hi Reiss,

If you add it to the parts section, I can order it and I'm sure I have the right one! So yes, that would be nice..

Thank you Reiss! I will check every now and then..
  • hi frank

its now here; http://londiniumespresso.com/product/150-high-temp-limit-stat-m4-stud?lang=en

just adding an image right now

apologies for the delay

kind regards

reiss.