This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

Weight for a double basket?

I know this topic has probably been discussed many times so sorry in advance for the redundancy. I just got a scale and was wondering how much coffee in grams for a double basket?
Thanks
Gene

Comments

• I must have a triple basket on?? I tried 15g, and 17g and it poured out in like 10-12sec.. I tried 20g and it poured out in 25 sec. and tastes real nice... All same tamp/grind
  • Gene Flynn post=10618 wrote: how much coffee in grams for a double basket?

Depends on the basket. A "14g VST" basket takes 13-15g, I use a VST 18g basket that I load with 18-20g for instance
  • Gene Flynn post=10619 wrote: I must have a triple basket on?? I tried 15g, and 17g and it poured out in like 10-12sec.. I tried 20g and it poured out in 25 sec. and tastes real nice... All same tamp/grind

You do not specify exactly how many grams of espresso you poured out. You just state "it" poured out.

Also, the beans you use, the roast of them, the roast date etcetera can make a difference. And your tamping technique, and the grinder. Best provide all info exactly, complete and specific, and post a video. Good quality info provides a better chance for getting any sensible feedback.
  • Coffee is single origin light roast Columbia Excelso, born 12/1. Mazzer mini, and a Cafelat drop tamper, flat 58mm. My basket tapers down at bottom. Machine is off at this time, but I will weight the liquid next time.
  • Gene Flynn post=10622 wrote: My basket tapers down at bottom.

Is it the OEM basket that came with the machine? That one takes 15.8g give or take a little.

You use the naked portafilter I presume so you can see how the drops appear. Do they appear all over the bottom of the basket within a second of the first droplet appearing or is that not so? Several streams falling down or gradually joining into one stream?
    Gene Flynn post=10622 wrote: Machine is off at this time, but I will weight the liquid next time.

I suggest to weigh it and also time how long it takes. At best post a video.

I'm sure others know at least as much as I do (or more) so others can and hopefully will chime in. I'm not trying to pose as any 'expert' rushing to the microphone to boss people around ;-)
  • Frans, I have watched your videos and you are way ahead of me, so all feedback is constructive to me and it's appreciated.
    I not sure if its the basket that came with the machine, I have about 5 of them. I'll post some pix.
    After the initial few drops I usually get 2 streams then joins as one after about 10 secs.
    I will get a vid up too.
    Thanks
  • hi gene

yes, if you can post an image of your basket, that would be helpful, as frans has already suggested. circa 15.8g if it is our stock basket

save your image at medium jpeg quality

reiss.
  • Gene Flynn post=10624 wrote: After the initial few drops I usually get 2 streams then joins as one after about 10 secs.

Sounds very good.