This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

Question for those who upgraded from L1 to L1-P

I'm seriously considering an L1-P even though the jump in price from the L1 is quite significant. I'm hoping to get some feedback from users who upgraded from the L1 to L1-P both in terms of real world home usage eg how long to reach operating temp/pressure from a cold start, and what really matters, taste in the cup. Many will think their promotional pricing justifies the cost of admission, but would you think the same way if you had to pay current retail price?
Thanks

Comments

• Getting the R120 grinder allowed me to rest assured that there's simply nothing better to wish or save for. There are others, like maybe the upcoming EG1 from the HG One folks that will be exciting and precise and "the new thing" but honestly I have nothing better to wish for now, in my view.

I loved the L1 and would have kept it along the L1-P if I made a higher volume of coffee but the L1-P serves basically just me and like upgrading to the R120, the L1-P got me where there is simply nothing left to aim higher. Sure costs more, it's bigger and no tank but it makes espresso with not one compromise.

Together they make preparation of astounding coffee extremely easy. No fuss, no 'tricks' just grind, tamp, pull and enjoy. (Well I did add a nifty thing to my kitchen cabinet to get my line pressure up to 3 but that has nothing to do with the L1-P).

I have asked my WEMO to switch on L1-P around 5am so whenever I wake up, the machine is ready to go. The cost in electricity is very trivial.
  • Frans, not to put you on the spot, but perhaps there's nobody more qualified to answer this question:

If you had an L1 and a quite decent grinder, if you had to make a choice, in your opinion would it be better (i.e., make more of a positive change to the quality of one's espresso) to upgrade to the R120 grinder or to the L1-P machine?

I don't know what grinder Haydn has, but I assume it's a pretty good one.
  • Thanks for chiming in Frans. I have my Cimbali DT1 Casa on a timer set for 45 mins before my alarm so its nicely up to temp when I ready for my cappuccino.

Size and lack of tank are not a problem since my machine is plumbed in and I like this convenience. If you were to compare the shots between the L1 and P models, how do they differ? I assume you made this comparison whiny received your L1-P.

John, I'm using an Anfim Super Caimano grinder.
  • The Anfim is a high end grinder. I never had one but I must assume it's great already. There's not one grinder at the summit of them all obviously, it's not 'Lord of the Rings' ;-)

The L1-P gave me a step up to more body and richer taste, although up to the last cup I made with it I was very very happy with the subtle and splendid espresso from my L1. The friend who came to try and buy my L1 was sufficiently impressed to take it home immediately after our demo and tasting and he has it still.

A friend who lives nearby has an espresso machine that's more expensive than my L1-P, it has lots of features and buttons and options, but he's forever struggling to get it right and at my place it's so easy to just get a great cup.
  • Proper warm up time for the L1-P is an hour, you can cut 10 minutes or so if you will do 3-4 flahes in 2 minutes intervals.

Regarding the difference between the L1 and the L1-P I'd say it's worth upgrading, definitely more body, richer taste and more volume.

Ergonomics is a bit better too, it's a big machine and really comfortable to operate.
    You can steam and draw water from the boiler without waiting for recovery, a big plus when you have guests.

Go for it, you won't be sorry...
    Kfir.