This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

L1 Button Tamper

Hi,

Would be interested to hear people's experiences with the button tamper now that the new style has been available for some time. How does it fit VST and IMS baskets? Does it leave any grinds on the side walls or is it very snug? (I think that IMS are slightly wider than VST baskets?).

Does it have a sharp edge similar to a Pergtamp? There has been a lot of fuss over this "feature" recently.

Many thanks

Comments

• I've a PergTamp and a 'mk2' Londinium tamper & much prefer the Londinium!

On IMS baskets it fits perfectly and whilst the edge is probably not as 'sharp' as the PergTamp is certainly as 'sharp' as it needs to be!

It's also much easier to tamp 'flat' with the Londinium tamper just a slight palm press and your done, it has a much more tactile feel to it :)
  • Is it possible to do a finger or thumb tamp as opposed to with your palm? With the tapered side I'm not sure whether theres anywhere for your fingers/thumbs to go
  • MattW post=10443 wrote: Is it possible to do a finger or thumb tamp as opposed to with your palm? With the tapered side I'm not sure whether theres anywhere for your fingers/thumbs to go

Absolutely!

As said it is far more tactile than the conventional handled tamper & have a look at the form of the 'PUSH' tamper thats getting a lot of press right now...
  • MattW post=10443 wrote: Is it possible to do a finger or thumb tamp as opposed to with your palm?

• Yeah but the push is a sort of idiot-proof guaranteed level tamp, whereas the L1 still requires a level of judgement to get level. I like to do this at eye level with fingers/thumbs rather than pressing down on a bench at hip height.
  • Thanks for the image Frans. So the thumbs go on top rather than around the middle like with original L1 tamper. I guess you lose some feeling by not being able to feel the basket at the same time

EDIT - it's hard to tell on the photo, but actually it looks like there might be a small lip around the middle just above the metal?