This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

L1 enhancement kit

i am getting to grips with the effects of this kit, which are considerable

it very much changes the character of the machine, but I'm not sure it is for the better

it handles big doses with aplomb and the larger shot weight of 55-60g is useful for light roasts where you address the reduced solubility by pushing more water through the roast

as i reported previously, i am not seeing the levels of mouth feel and density that the L1-P/2/3 delivers

however, i think i know what i am missing; i need a pump with more refinement and a higher flow rate

we need a more refined pump as the current pump is now working at a higher pressure, and as a result takes longer to get the job done and it alters the tone of the pump, for the worse, too

i suspect a pump with a higher flow rate will address the lack of L1-P/2/3 levels of body and mouthfeel too

so other than a lack of improved mouthfeel the kit is an improvement in terms of what goes in the cup

the problem is the ownership experience, at least for me, is a bit compromised

the experience has moved in the direction of what i have always accused the Strega of, which is a pump machine with a lever bolted on the front

to address this i need to find a pump that is more refined, and delivers at a higher flow rate. this translates into something that is less thrashy, and better still, just runs for less time - 'more silent' you might say

there is quite a lot of work to refine the kit so that it is easier for owners to fit. for example it currently has a secondary pressure switch in it that was a 'one off' lying around in a spares bin in the factory. it would also be nice to get the pipes machine bent as all the production pipes on our machines are - the kit i have is very much 'hand crafted'

we have tried a few alternative pumps already without success, but we have located another one which we hope to receive in about a fortnight, so the impact of bolting that on will be interesting

i have turned the L1s off for the night, but i might try and do a clip tomorrow so you can see it in action alongside a stock L1

reiss.

Comments

• Great! Waiting for it!! Would love to see more detail of what you and the engineers concocted. But I am afraid that is not what you are going to show here..... (hint: you know where to reach me -:) ....)

Anyway, it seems to me that you are now having a kit that is meant for a tank-fed L1. Maybe it might be more easy if you would first try whether the idea works on a plumbed-in L1. Or am I wrong in my assumption that the HX with the kit is being cold fed (3 bar with a pump from the tank)?

M.
  • [video width=425 height=344 type=vimeo]144196300

so, apologies for not getting a great extraction on film, i might have another go tomorrow

i also failed to show you the lever catching at the lower angle than 45 degrees as the stock L1 does

the relationship between the group surface temperature and the brew temperature is also quite different to the stock L1

the net effect being that we run higher group surface temperatures than we would on the stock L1

the brew temperature is also more responsive to changes in boiler pressure than the stock L1

the pressure switch we have added only runs to 2.8 bar - i would like to get one that goes higher to give owners a bit more flexibility

i would like to be able to offer these kits for around £100 plus shipping & tax where applicable, although it very much depends what pump we decide on - we keep finding a new option every couple of weeks

best

reiss.
  • This sounds brilliant, I can't wait. Thanks for your work on this Reiss. Does the modified machine still heat up as miraculously fast as a standard machine?
  • Reiss - will the kit be available to both 120V and 240V versions?

Steve
  • Nick Roulstone post=10418 wrote: This sounds brilliant, I can't wait. Thanks for your work on this Reiss. Does the modified machine still heat up as miraculously fast as a standard machine?

hi nick. no, no it won't as the heat exchanger is no longer fed from the boiler,but rather the water tank

a digital timer is the answer

best

reiss.
  • Steve Egge post=10419 wrote: Reiss - will the kit be available to both 120V and 240V versions?

Steve

hi steve

yes, good question. it will depend primarily on whether the pump we settle on is available in 120V, as well as 240V

my preference would certainly be to offer the kit in both 120 & 240V versions

reiss.
  • The kit looks like it does what it is meant to do. I look forward to hearing about your taste comparisons; the 60g espresso shots are less interesting to me.

Also, congratulations on your own new slim-line edition. Your running regime seems to be doing the trick.

Matt
  • Thanks for the update, Reiss. I believe I'm in the same boat as Matt, since I don't have a need for more volume in the cup. In truth, I don't desire anything beyond 30g. But I am very interested to hear about the taste.
  • Reiss,

I am very intrigued by this L1 enhancement kit. I'm plumbed in currently, excuse this question if it's been discussed already but will this enhancement kit be compatible with my current plumbed in configuration? I understand it's a moot point if a 120V pump isn't procured.

All the best to you, and keep up the great work.
  • hi patrick

you could make the kit work on a plumbed in L1, you would just need to remove some components as they would be surplus to requirements, one of which would be the pump of course, and another the second pressure switch

i think the sensible thing would be for us to offer the kit in a plumbed in version, without the pump and pressure switch, and some of the unnecessary pipework capped off. it would be a lot less expensive

reiss.
  • in my view the acceptability of the kit is under-pinned by the pump we find. because we are now pumping the heat exchanger up to 3 bar the pump runs for a lot longer, as it is having to pump to a higher pressure

the greater pressure also alters the tone of the pump

these two factors combined change the situation from being one where the existing pump was an adequate solution in the L1, to one where it isn't quite good enough in a kit that is designed to enhance the user experience
  • Always good to see alternate mods to the L1 platform being discussed. Having said that, and I realize I'm in the minority here, I'd also like to see someone offer a PID controller swap kit for the p-stat. I find I do like to pull a range of roast levels and appreciate the ability to raise/lower the effective brew water temp in a more precise and easier manner...
  • hi dan

tom jagiello is your best bet for that. the notion that you can run a hot shot and dial it down for a cool shot is how our competitors tell the story, but the claim is at odds with reality I'm afraid

best

reiss.
  • For me it would be for bigger time separation...days or even weeks. It would allow me to more precisely and consistently dial in the brew water temp...rather than the vague experimentation I do now.

Thanks for the reference to Tom Jagiello...I will search around and try to contact him.
  • just send him a PM.
  • https://coffeehustle.com/
    The advent of PID control on espresso machines brought with it a feverish obsession with temperature control. “We want more precise temperatures” the professionals cried; and almost all manufacturers have been delivering with aplomb. Reflecting on these advances, one might ask: how important is precise machine temperature control on a busy bar?

[...]

Here we are applauding machines for 0.1C accuracy when a typical scenario can see swings of nearly 4C based on the coffee grinds temperature.
  • i meant to add, if you watch the clip in Vimeo directly you can see it in HD

that is raw footage taken on my wife's iPhone 6S

i have the 6 but the quality of the 6S is so much better that i'll be using her phone for any video work

video editing of any form just sucks hours out of my day, so the ability to load raw footage is a huge benefit

i apologise if some of you would prefer something more produced, but it simply isn't economic for a small business to indulge in this way

i will try to put up more regular video footage, as it seems to be what people want to see

reiss.
  • Other than increased shot volume, what are the other benefits to the kit?

I don't like big shots at all and 35g is typically as much output as I desire, but it looks like pre-infusion is at a higher pressure and the early grab of the lever means that the initial pressure is higher too. This must affect the outcome even of a 35g shot - I'd be interested to hear what this is.
  • I might be interested in going back to a pump and tank, I find myself not trusting an on/off timer ever since I plumbed in my machine and sourcing remineralization filters has been so difficult I can't even put it into words. Also every single shot I have pulled on it since day one has been very light roast as that's what my local roaster is into and I would like a larger shot weight as well. This kit could be for me!

fingers crossed for a 120V pump.
  • Patrick Bennett post=10450 wrote: I might be interested in going back to a pump and tank, I find myself not trusting an on/off timer ever since I plumbed in my machine and sourcing remineralization filters has been so difficult I can't even put it into words.

If I am reading this correctly, you are just concerned with going through filters too quickly, right?

I am thinking about plumbing into a R/O system, so having both kits available would be great. Thanks for keeping us in the loop Reiss!
  • so, the good news is we think we have decided on the pump we want to use for the upgrade kit. it is still an Ulka and it is still a piston pump, but it offers something like 20% improved flow rate, is much quieter and refined and critically it is a straight swap for the Ulka we are currently using so it will be easy for you if you are 'engineeringly challenged' to fit, although as i have said i would prefer to be involved with the fitment via facetime if you have any doubts

the bad news is the lead time on the pump is such that by the time we finish our testing we are not going to receive these new pumps before christmas

however, my plan is to write an email to our manufacturer immediately after this and enquire if we can have the kit, sans pump, made up before christmas as i am quite keen to deploy this

i am also going to petition for a new two hole tip with the same design characteristics as our exceptionally good four hole tip (admittedly it took several iterations to get there), but the odds on getting that through before christmas are a bit longer, but nothing venture nothing gained
  • the other advantage of the enhancement kit that i have only referred to in passing is the way in which the correlation between boiler pressure and group surface temperature is much stronger

it is a little difficult to articulate as the brew temperature curve is flatter with the enhancement kit on, but the significant point is that the group surface temperature moves a lot more for each unit of movement in boiler pressure than it does with the enhancement kit on

this means that if you live in a hot climate the enhancement kit will be a significant advantage to you and eliminates the need for a restrictor in the thermosiphon, which is a much more elegant solution

a 0.1 bar adjustment to the boiler pressure will now produce a significant movement in the group surface temperature, whereas without the enhancement kit the group surface temperature is less responsive to reductions in boiler pressure as the ambient temperature rises. it may mean that the brew temperature suffers if the ambient temperature was to drop below 15C, this is something i have not been able to test and is a good example of why i am releasing this as a kit - there are scenarios that i have not been able to adequately test and with machines dotted all over the place it is difficult for me to gain sufficient comfort that i have tested every conceivable scenario. with this approach we de-risk it. in any event the pump will represent an upgrade for all participants - no possible downside there

i have adjusted the roast profile of our Brazilian passeio as it did not play nicely with the enhancement kit on the first trial run. i am running the adjusted Brazilian roast today for the first time and i am very happy with it, which gives me a lot more confidence to proceed. the effect is that the group temperature runs higher but the initial inlet temperature is a little lower and the trailing inlet temperature is a little hotter - or a slightly less extreme brew profile. it also seems to eliminate the thermal accumulation that could sometimes be observed if the machine was left unused for 5 or 6 hours without a shot being pulled in an environment with little air movement

the kit will be very light and small so i can't see the DHL charge exceeding GBP25 even for remote locations

for customers in Australia & New Zealand I will probably bring say 20 kits to Auckland so i can distribute from here

reiss.
  • i will have to decide whether to make an initial run of 50 or 100 kits

if you would like to be in the initial order can you please express an interest below

reiss.
  • I would be interested. I have a series 1
    Jerry conedera
  • Hi Reiss,

Very Happy to be in the first group, ex Auckland of course.

Thanks for your work, it sounds exciting!

Trevor
  • And another who would be interested, ex Auckland as well please B)
  • ...and another please....ex Auckland as well please
  • Yes please Reiss, UK
  • i would also be interested in this kit

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
  • Reiss,

I am interested, but I would require a pump as I intend to go back to tank fed operation and also my unit is a 110V. Were you able to source a pump for 110V?

Thanks
    Patrick