This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

pstat to thermocouple mod - entry questions

Hi everyone,

I'm planning to do what I've done on my Elektra T1 in the past, swap the noisy / clicky pstat with a thermocouple and a PID in order to control the pressure in the boiler. A few questions before I start and order parts:

- what's the standard boiler pressure the L1 operates at?

- what's the thread size on the boiler pstat fitting?

The mod is rather simple, all you need is a Swagelok tube adapter with the correct female thread (that goes where the pstat sits currently), a long-ish mineral insulated sheathed thermocouple probe (you can bend those), a PID and an SSR. I'll post photos as I go along to document the process, you never know someone else might be mad enough to do the same!

Regards,
Tom

Comments

• hi tom

from memory that thread size is 1/4"BSP

the pressure switch is typically set to open at 1.3 bar, +/- 0.2 to adjust for ambient conditions

kind regards

reiss.
  • Tom Jagiello post=10230 wrote: Hi everyone,

I'm planning to do what I've done on my Elektra T1 in the past, swap the noisy / clicky pstat with a thermocouple and a PID in order to control the pressure in the boiler. A few questions before I start and order parts:

- what's the standard boiler pressure the L1 operates at?

- what's the thread size on the boiler pstat fitting?

The mod is rather simple, all you need is a Swagelok tube adapter with the correct female thread (that goes where the pstat sits currently), a long-ish mineral insulated sheathed thermocouple probe (you can bend those), a PID and an SSR. I'll post photos as I go along to document the process, you never know someone else might be mad enough to do the same!

Regards,
    Tom

I look forward to your illustrated narrative. I just may be mad enough to follow your example.

Matt
  • What Matt said :)
  • I built a PID for my La Pavoni and use an identical one for my roaster. On the roaster the PID is excellent because it can plan and execute a temperature curve over time and on the La Pavoni I kept the p-stat so I can use both systems. Warming up goes best with the p-stat and the PID can then keep the group at the exact right temp.

The Londinium machine is so stable that I don't see the advantage for a PID (except the fun in tinkering) and in terms of simplicity and robustness the p-stat wins hand down. It's a simple device that has been in the industry for dozens of years for a reason.

If I'd want to add a PID, I'd just stick the probe on the outside of the boiler and keep the P-stat as it is so I could use a simple switch to revert back to the p-stat for any practical reason.

The clicking of the p-stat is for me so trivial, i could not bring myself to bother about it.

If I could get one, I would like a vintage mercury switch / p-stat like ancient machines have.
  • A TC with a PID will provide a much more stable pressure in the boiler, without the annoying fluctuations and the constant clicking noise. I agree pstats are very simple, but I'm already seeing dirty switch contacts on a pretty much brand new machine (some arcing might be going on from time to time) and I'd much rather have an SSR doing the switching than a mechanical contact.

Rgds,
    Tom
  • As agreed by all, the group temperature is influenced by ambient conditions. If you have a stable, seasonal climate, you can reset the p-stat for winter, spring, etc, and all is good. My kitchen, however, has one wall of glass doors leading to a balcony, another substantially windowed, and several skylights to boot. The ever shifting daily sun and cloud of London skies can turn the room quickly from a greenhouse to an igloo. It would be much more feasible, I am thinking, to adjust boiler temperature quickly and accurately with a PID than to fiddle frequently with the p-stat or attempt to keep the room temperature stable.

Matt
  • Matthew Hoffman post=10254 wrote: As agreed by all, the group temperature is influenced by ambient conditions. (...) The ever shifting daily sun and cloud of London skies can turn the room quickly from a greenhouse to an igloo. It would be much more feasible, I am thinking, to adjust boiler temperature quickly and accurately with a PID than to fiddle frequently with the p-stat or attempt to keep the room temperature stable.

In your unusual 'kitchen climate' a probe on the group would be more effective I think.

The boiler temp is stable enough with the p-stat as I have measured, logged and published extensively and a quick change in kitchen temperature will hardly change the boiler temp but it will affect the group temp if you have all seasons in one day. With a pid probe on the boiler you would be chasing a tail all day, manually changing the pid target temp to get the group temp 'right'.

Do let us know how you did it when ready and I would like to see your pictures and temp results!
  • Frans Goddijn post=10255 wrote: [quote=Matthew Hoffman post=10254]As agreed by all, the group temperature is influenced by ambient conditions. (...) The ever shifting daily sun and cloud of London skies can turn the room quickly from a greenhouse to an igloo. It would be much more feasible, I am thinking, to adjust boiler temperature quickly and accurately with a PID than to fiddle frequently with the p-stat or attempt to keep the room temperature stable.

In your unusual 'kitchen climate' a probe on the group would be more effective I think.

The boiler temp is stable enough with the p-stat as I have measured, logged and published extensively and a quick change in kitchen temperature will hardly change the boiler temp but it will affect the group temp if you have all seasons in one day. With a pid probe on the boiler you would be chasing a tail all day, manually changing the pid target temp to get the group temp 'right'.

Do let us know how you did it when ready and I would like to see your pictures and temp results!

Thank you for your observations, Frans. I'm not dogmatic about this idea, but here is the 'problem' I'd like to resolve. Yesterday afternoon, I pulled a shot when the group temp read 92C on my Amprobe TMD-50. The crema was thin and the drink flat. I pulled another at 78C and the result was a golden crema and a subtle and layered taste. (The coffee is a medium-roasted SO from Costa Ricca.)

Had I reset the boiler pressure via the p-stat to bring the group temp down 10C or so, it would have been a disaster this morning when the group temp is hovering around 72C (which should be fine but wouldn't be if it were much lower).

When needed, I adjust the group temperature up or down by small flushes or the insertion of a room-temperature portafilter. In a way, I prefer this method to an electronic one, as it seems appropriate for a manually operated machine. But I can't help wondering if there is an automated way to achieve the same result. Could you PID the group?

Matt
  • The TC + PID approach is a way of holding the pressure in the boiler steady. The idea is to control pressure via temperature, as its much easier to use a thermocouple than a pressure transducer (you'd need a thin coiled line from the boiler as a PT on the boiler itself would probably overheat). Because a PID offers much tighter control than a pstat, the pressure in the boiler would be more steady.

As for group temps, the relation stays the same as on a stock machine as this is mostly affected by the design.

T.
  • Matthew Hoffman post=10256 wrote: Could you PID the group?

I did that on my La Pavoni. On that little 'hothead' it does make a difference and it makes life easier but I don't see the use on a professional brew group like we have on our Londiniums.

I'm not sure if it was from Matt Perger or Gwilym Davies (probably the latter) that I read a blog posting, a while ago, about all the stuff you can do to get your extraction right with different beans (light, dark, fresh, older). Changing the boiler/brew temp was the very very last resort ever as there is so much you can do with grinding, dosing and timing of the shot.

If the room temp changes dramatically all the time during any day, I'd probably set the boiler temp/pressure so that the brew temp would not be too high in any circumstance and work with that. I also believe the constant boiler temp would ensure that any temporary coolness in the heavy brew group is slightly compensated.
  • Not to contest the opinion of the pros...but I can not get the same level of sweetness, flavor separation and profile if I don't get the brew temp somewhat matched to the bean/roast level. I agree a degree or two C doesn't really make a significant difference but if I want to pull Italian roast one week and City the next I find, regardless of grind/dose manipulation the resulting cup is lacking...

Similarly when using my pour over devices (Portaspresso, EspressoForge, etc.) the difference between matching the bean to the brew water is the difference between being drinkable and sinkable...experimented with this ad nausea.

So for me having the ability to reference and easily adjust the effective brew temp is worthy of the experiment...and one I plan to play with soon.
  • Found it!
    Temperature from the grouphead is the last variable I change

http://europeancoffeetrip.com/pdf/5-LCwG-handling-and-dailling-in.pdf
  • Further...from the same link:

• A fast flow brews hotter in the filter basket • A slow flow brews cooler in the filter basket
    Temperature from the grouphead is the last variable I change, I generally have my machine at 92.5c and leave it there.
    • Reduce temperature if it tastes bitter
    • Increase temperature to reduce sour acidity
    • Very unripe or underdeveloped coffee can benefit from a drop in temperature below 90c
    • If you cannot get a coffee to taste good try it at 80c, sometimes it creates a simple uncomplicated espresso.
  • Tom Jagiello post=10257 wrote: ... its much easier to use a thermocouple than a pressure transducer (you'd need a thin coiled line from the boiler as a PT on the boiler itself would probably overheat). ...

You are right, mounting a pressure transducer directly on top of the boiler is probably not a good idea.
    Specification for the pressure transducer I use states 105*C thermocompensated range (that means accuracy is not the same above that)
    There is an elegant solution for a pressure transducer mount for a second generation L-1 (where pressure gauge positioned under the power switch)
    >>https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productdetails.asp?RecID=11217<<<br />You simply unscrew the tube from the gauge and insert the adaptor.
    It didn't work in my case as I have first gen machine where gauge positioned under the steam valve - steam tube gets in the way.
    Another thing is its made of aluminum - not sure how it would play in contact with brass long term. If they can make it from brass that would be ideal.
    Ended up using a long tube (that I have left from over-pressure valve set-up that Reiss did for a small number of early machines) on the p-stat port. Running it since late June with no single hiccup.
    The main advantage for me is ability to change the boiler pressure (0.8 - 1.5 Bar) without unscrewing top panel (panels on early machines are secured with screws - not clip-on). I never thought I would need an adjustment until I modded my machine for direct HX feed recently (my machine is plumbed in). It seems to me that direct feed setup requires lower temp / boiler pressure (I run it just below 1 Bar) but I didn't bother measuring grout surface temp.
  • Indeed Victor, not the best environment for a PT, which is why I'm switching to a TC, although mounting the PT on a coiled loop further away from the boiler would probably work fairly well.

Reiss have you got any cross-section drawings showing how the heater is coiled up in the boiler? I need to know this in order to get the right thermocouple length. Also, how high does the water level go on a factory set level probe?

Cheers,
    Tom
  • FYI I've ordered three Swagelok tube fittings which should hopefully go on the same threaded connector that is currently used by the pstat. The fitting will hold and seal a 3mm thermcouple probe which I'm getting custom made.

If you are interested in a fitting and TC let me know and I can send you a set. We are talking around £30 for both. All you need then is a PID controller (you can find used Omron's on ebay for £30-£50) and an SSR (£20) and you are good to go.

T.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
  • I'm interested Tom! I'll PM you...

Thanks for doing this! This surely will make it easier to get the flavor profile I'm after with the variety of beans I pull...with more accuracy/predictability. And if not, well then, it was a learning exercise :)
  • Looks like all the fittings are now gone as I only have two spare, sorry about that. If someone is still interested in getting one purchased I can let you know which part you need and it might be cheaper to get it from your local Swagelok distributor.

Same goes for thermocouples, I'll post some photos and a short tutorial when I get all the parts.

Cheers,
    Tom
  • Quick update, I've got the fittings now (finally, never want to deal with Swagelok directly again), just waiting on the TCs and I can do the conversion.

T.

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk
  • Thank you for the update Tom!
  • Just a note this is still ongoing, got the fittings but it turned out they are not straight through:( still they can be drilled thru, so I'm getting them fixed, should be with me next week or so.

T.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
  • OK so I got the fittings modded, slightly overdrilled to take a 3mm sheathed thermocouple (originally the hole was closer to 2.90mm I think). The main issue now is the HX in the boiler as it runs directly under the pstat. I'm currently experimenting with removing the link between the boiler and the pressure gauge on the front panel and using the now spare threaded connection to fit a TC as it's at an angle in relation to the HX (and the TC can be bent inside the boiler to pass straight down, miss the HX and sit under the water level). This of course means no working pressure gauge which isn't perfect but I can map varous boiler temps against pressures (I have a pressure transducer fitted where the anti-vac used to sit) and know where I am when.

I also had to drain the boiler and remove the heater as I had to change the heater gasket, but mostly due to the reason of dropping a BBQ stick into the boiler when doing some dimenson checks for the TC. So a simple mod turned into a massive task of dismantling half of the machine only to fix a few silly mistakes. Will post some photos soon...

Cheers,
    Tom
  • Here'd a mock up of the TC in place, just realised that the TC tip will end up in front of the water inlet :/ not crazy about this, but there's no other easy place to put it.

T.

Attached files

• I’ll make the modification sometime but will use a Pressure Transducer rather than a thermocouple as I think it’s a more robust solution. I’ll mount the transducer on a short length of tubing probably off a T junction below the P Stat, keeping the P Stat in series with the Solid State Relay but with a high pressure setting as a safety measure. The transducer will well away from the boiler hence there shouldn’t be any temperature issues.

The modification will be similar to that done by Victor Sherman
  • This is something I'm contemplating myself Greg (the PT I have is rated up to 125degC so it could potentially even sit on top of the boiler), I don't really care for the original pstat in the form of a safety device (there's the pressure relief valve which can handle that and I can program in alarm levels on the PID), so can remove it altogether, besides I'm not sure a T would fit under the bonnet.

I'll play around with the TC still as I do think I can bend it so that it goes around the HX, but I need to try it first with some 3mm rod (or tubing as a solid rod is fairly hard to bend).

Cheers,
    Tom
  • OK change of plan, I'll be using a pressure transducer in the end, got one off ebay which can be used in environments up to 125degC and has a linear range up to 100degC. Not perfect of course as the boiler will sit at ~107degC at 1.3bar, but it shouldn't be far off.

T.
  • Got the whole lot fitted, works well, although I've noticed there's a rather significant difference between what the PID shows and what the internal gauge shows. Currently I'm controlling at 1.2bar and when the setpoint is reached / maintained the front gauge shows close to 1.45bar. Would be interesting to hear how accurate the original gauges are and whether they are calibrated at the factory?

Rgds,
    T.
  • Tom, just checking in to see if you are still happy with this mod. On that note, I'm really surprised the PID and gauge are so far apart.
  • Sorry Paul, missed this.

Yes, still working, still happy. Dead quiet which is great although the discrepancy between the on-board gauge and the PID also worries me. Will need to have a look at calibrating the PID and checking if it's real or an error.

Rgds,
    T.