This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

If you have recently received your LONDINIUM I...

would you be so kind as to post an image of the rear panel, in particular a close up of the vents

i wasnt aware this change had hit production yet, but speaking with our manufacturer just now i have been assured that the vents are now stamped, like the holes in the drip tray, rather than laser cut which they always have been & i assumed they still were

i have been after this cosmetic refinement since virtually day one, so i would be most interested to see how it looks if someone wouldn't mind posting an image of it here

kind regards

reiss.

Comments

• so, laser cut vents look like this;

whereas a pressed/stamped vent will have a slightly radiused edge from the press tool, as seen here on the drip tray;

it isn't particularly easy to see the difference between these two images, but i think it is a subtle refinement that adds to the finish of the product

if you have an L1 with stamped vents on the back panel i would love to see an image of them

reiss.
  • I'm having two of these refined back panels sent to me in Auckland

I'm also sending out an assortment of piston seals, signal lamps, tampers, etc so I can support machines in Australia and New Zealand for less expense to you, the customer

I am also being sent a kit that we have developed. Instead of an L1-S I think we can achieve our goals with the addition of a kit that you will be able to fit to series one and two machines, so it is potentially of interest to everyone who has an L1

The next step is for me to get it down here and bench test it alongside a stock L1 and see what the differences are

Exciting times!
  • Exciting indeed!

You have a guinea pig here if you want more info!

Trevor
  • hi trevor

high hopes, lets see what happens in the crucible that is reality

with this route we just stick with the L1 and if this kit meets expectations then every owner from the very first until the most recent will be able to fit this kit to their machine fairly easily

the million dollar question is, does it deliver a measurable, all round improvement under everyday conditions?

time to break out the laptop and the digital thermometers again...

also changed the pricing structure of our coffee today, so worth taking a look there too

the last piece of the puzzle is to deploy our new website which among other things, most importantly will bring the ability for us to price shipping from multiple locations. as things stand our shipping tables only support a one to many relationship

reiss.
  • Reiss Gunson post=10245 wrote: hi trevor

high hopes, lets see what happens in the crucible that is reality

with this route we just stick with the L1 and if this kit meets expectations then every owner from the very first until the most recent will be able to fit this kit to their machine fairly easily

the million dollar question is, does it deliver a measurable, all round improvement under everyday conditions?

time to break out the laptop and the digital thermometers again...

also changed the pricing structure of our coffee today, so worth taking a look there too

the last piece of the puzzle is to deploy our new website which among other things, most importantly will bring the ability for us to price shipping from multiple locations. as things stand our shipping tables only support a one to many relationship

reiss.

Sounds very interesting - what improvements will the kit give over the stock L1?
  • Hi Matt

More body and mouth coating, with no loss in complexity is what is needed to match the L1-P/2/3

As you will see from my latest blog post, I am approaching this very cautiously as there is a real risk of compromising the ownership experience of the L1

Kind regards

Reiss
  • This sounds very intriguing, Reiss, and as an owner of one of the early machines please let me know if I can be of any assistance. Since I am forced to move frequently, I am somewhat constrained to using a tank-fed machine. The idea, however, of thicker, fuller-bodied caffè captures my imagination!

Salvatore
  • yes, in terms of the market tank fed is where it is at, which is why we are contorting ourselves to make the best better

by approaching it in this way we de-risk the project. there is a real risk of killing the goose that laid the golden egg

even if we assume it works perfectly, it still comes at the cost of added complexity

there are no free lunches in life, everything is a compromise. the tricky bit is deciding where you want to sit on the curve between the two extremes
  • Lots of good news in this topic :cheer: I'm especially glad to hear that you'll be keeping a supply of spare parts in NZ for those of us who are Antipedean customers. The potential kit does sound quite interesting, here's hoping it gives you what you want and comes to market.
  • as you can see our box of toys arrived this afternoon

this is what the new rear panel with pressed, rather than laser cut, vents looks like

we now have some signal lamps in stock in Auckland, more piston seals, the exceeding good LONDINIUM button tampers, pressure switches, safety valves, etc

i haven't opened the box with the new machine yet, but i hope to tomorrow