This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

L-1. Noise from the group after PTFE lubrication

I just cleaned and lubed the group and piston seals with the PTFE silicon grease I purchased on the Londinium webshop about a year ago. After a few shots there is a noice from the group as if it was in need og lubrication. I then took the group apart again - cleaned and applied now (and more) lube. After a few shots the noice reappears.
Has anybody had tvis experience?
I know that Reiss has written this particular ptfe lube cannot be used for the steam/water valves but does this apply for the group/piston as well?

Sendt fra min LG-D855 med Tapatalk

Comments

• I assume you replaced the seals with fresh new ones and you made sure they were lined up correctly?

If the seals were not renewed, try the newer set of seals that you have ready.

If you do not have these, you could order two sets so next time you will always have one fresh set of seals ready.
  • Thanks Frans. But the seals should hardly need to be renewed already. As the problem started after applying the ptfe grease, I think I will take things appart again and apply regular silicon grease. I will report back with results ☺

Sendt fra min LG-D855 med Tapatalk
  • Hi Niels & thank you Frans

My view is that removing the piston to lubricate the seals is unnecessary

Take the shower screen off every 3 months and clean it by all means

Take some Scotchbrite or similar and clean the coffee tar off the bottom of the piston at the same time (without removing the top half of the group)

Clean the area in the bottom of the group that the portafilter locks into

Otherwise just leave well alone - when the seals need changing it will leak from the hole placed in the back of the forging specifically for this purpose

I have gone for more than 12 months on my machine without changing the seals and it wasnt leaking or skipping - i took the top of the group out because i was asked to muck around with the twin spring top, and then as a result the seals needed to be replaced

Some owners like taking their machines apart on a regular basis to fill the day in and that's fine , but it doesn't constitute advice and it creates an impression with prospective buyers that our machines are needy and high maintenance

this infuriates me as a founding principle in my machines was to build a machine that required minimal maintenance and meddling with, and that on the odd occasion that it did need some attention that it was very simple for anyone who could be trusted with a screwdriver to execute it

If you take the group off you should assume the seals are always going to need to be replaced as they don't like being disturbed (if i thought i could get away with shipping the L1 with the top half of the group attached i would do it in a heartbeat)

I'm not suggesting you are doing this Niels, I simply want to clarify my position on the matter

Reiss.

Ps - I would recommend Loxeal No.4 grease in all lever espresso machines as its 100 times better than dow corning's molykote 111 or any other alternative I have found and I've spent an awful lot of time personally searching, looking, buying, and testing an array of silicone greases
  • Thank you Reiss.
    I see I need to change my approach and not touch the piston unless there is leaking.
  • If the seals are failing to perform for at least 12 months, even with the machine on 18-20 hours a day you need to move up to loxeal
  • By that I don't mean leaking, I mean failing to effect a grab at 45 degrees