This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

Strong shots with the Londinium l1...

Hey Guys,

So I am lucky enough to live in Auckland and I had the opportunity to visit Reiss' workshop and behold the beauty of the L1 in person... and my sweet lord is it a beautiful machine!!! but you ll know that...

also I'd like to mention how hospitable Reiss was, I left over caffeinated, with some scales a 1kg of his coffee gratis!
a very nice way to spend an hour in the afternoon...

Reiss kindly made me a coffee with his beans (which was awesome and quite lightly roasted) and then we made a few coffees with my dark roast (of my current fav roastery) the last coffee Reiss made was pretty damn good... Although it didn't have the kick I'm used to from my e61...

So guys the question is can I get that strong but smooth whiskey kick with a milk based espresso from the L1?

I've read elsewhere that the spring lever is not the best machine for this but idealy I want the L1... its so damn pretty and the lever is a great pleasure to use...

Convince me please!

Tim

Comments

• Tim Gardner post=9957 wrote: can I get that strong but smooth whiskey kick with a milk based espresso from the L1?

Not sure about alcoholics but the espresso is unsurpassed and frothing milk on the L1 is dead easy too.
  • about the only thing i can think of that was 'unusual' tim is we used the R120, a large flat burr grinder

there is definitely a school of thought that light roasts are better on flat burrs and dark roasts better on conicals

you might have to come back for another go sometime and I will get the E10 out (the other grinder we were using was the E8)

the architecture of the L1-P will give you more body, and given that you aren't looking to buy until 2016 you should have the opportunity to give the L1-S a go too, and L2/L3 if you want to go the L1-P route (i haven't got an L1-P in NZ as i simply don't have a use for it as i can replicate the same taste on the L3)

thank you for coming by, let me know how you feel about the coffee once you get to the bottom of the bag

best

reiss.
  • I was hoping you'd say that Reiss! :)

I think I'll give espresso workshop's roasts a try, after your recommednation... I saw your face when you had the roast I bought!
  • yes that's Andrew Smart's Espresso Workshop at http://www.espressoworkshop.co.nz

Anna McGregor's CoffeeLab http://www.coffeelab.co.nz/store on the shore is also excellent - serving up a good selection of genuinely high quality single estate beans that have been roasted with expertise and care. atypical for Auckland.