This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

L1 fuse tripping

Hello forum folks. I just installed a new Gicar controller 110v after mine sparked and burnt. Now the fuse pops out every time it gets up to temp. It has been plugged into the same wall for 2 years. It only popped out once last summer. ???? Help.

Comments

• hi robin

good stuff on replacing the Gicar

when you say the 'fuse' do you mean an old fashioned fuse wire, a circuit breaker, on a residual current device (RCD), or possibly even something else?

also, what is the rating of the 'fuse' that is popping?

have you added any other device to the same circuit, increasing the current draw?

with the information provided there is no logical reason why the same device on the same circuit would suddenly draw more current

but RCDs are finicky things and will happily start tripping. circuit breakers will also get tired eventually, and at an accelerated rate if you are running them on their limit

best

reiss.
  • I'm starting a 'new topic' because I cannot 'reply' to Reiss' response.
    The thing that keeps popping out, the "fuse" is attached to the boiler. It is the brown square approx. 1cm x1cm with a tiny white knob sticking out from the centre.
  • What is your boiler pressure when fully heated up?

Maybe turn down the p-stat if the pressure / temp is rather high.
  • The reset button pops between 1.1-1.2 bar.
  • Robin Tieu post=9967 wrote: I'm starting a 'new topic' because I cannot 'reply' to Reiss' response.
    The thing that keeps popping out, the "fuse" is attached to the boiler. It is the brown square approx. 1cm x1cm with a tiny white knob sticking out from the centre.

On what machine and what voltage?

And if you are in the "Pre Sales" category should you not have Posted this in the standard "Owners Support" section?
  • I believe he is referring to the over temp circuit breaker on the heating element.
  • It's is the L1. 110v. This info was in original post which didn't give me option to reply after Reiss answered. I had to start a new post. The reason for my posting to be under 'presales' is it was the only option I could pose my question under. It is completely the wrong category I know but I couldn't find anything else that worked.
  • I believe Reiss has started, or you started another Post in the other section.

check it out :-)
  • Every time I go under owners forum, I do not see all the reply options. Just 'you cannot reply to this....'
  • Maybe you haven't registered as an owner yet. Reiss can correct that.
  • hi robin

you have your original account, which would allow you full access, but then you have in July 2015 created a new account which doesnt have the necessary privileges

so i have just now added the privileges to your new account and deleted your old account

i am now going to append this thread to the bottom of the other one

i now understand - you are talking about the thermal fuse on the element

yes, these get tired over time

i will add this part to the website - it is a really easy part to change over

kind regards

reiss.
  • Ah. I see!

I Will wait for thermal fuse to appear under 'parts' option. Reiss, can you add another item under 'parts' ? I have a feeling my on/off controller will be fried soon. Might as well not pay for shipping. Currency exchange is killing me.
    Thanks.
  • i'll do that under warranty, even though it is well outside the time frame.