This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

Wet Roasts?

Please excuse my ignorance if someone has noticed and discussed this before... (I haven't been around much recently!)... Anyway, I think many people are aware that I use an early L1 to extract, and a Nino to grind and I have been happily extracting and grinding mainly Square Mile "SweetShop" blend for the last year(ish).

There have been a couple of short periods when there has been none for sale and I have been forced to look elsewhere, I have used HasBean single estates from Ethiopia and Tanzania, and Coffee Compass Blends "Brighton Lanes", "Elephant" and the single estate Panama Geisha... I have noticed a couple of interesting effects unrelated to flavour:

1: The HasBean Tanzania (SE) and the Coffee Compass Geisha (SE) have both caused my Nino to become blocked, which begins with a reduced dose and then it pushes the spout out and the whole machine needs to be disassembled.

2: The other effect is from the Coffee Compass roasts only, and affects all of them, blends and SE's... And this is a WET PUCK which does not pop/knock out of the PF without leaving a quantity of sludgy coffee behind.

Now obviously Londinium owners stretch out around the whole globe, it being a project for world domination :) but I am just wondering whether people have noticed that some roasters produce this type of "wet roast" and is there a reason behind it?

I certainly don't remember suffering from this when I used Reiss's coffee almost exclusively, so he is a "dry" along with Square Mile, but CC (chiefly) and HB (a bit), are really testing the Nino and having an effect on the extraction.

I look forward to comments.

Also, many thanks to Reiss for the bundling of PF gaskets, even though I don't change them half as much as I thought I would be doing... I am on my second one!

Comments

• So I can't comment directly on those particular coffees, but I had a thought about the situation.

Do you think the coffees that give you a wet puck are sitting lower in the basket? I'd think up-dosing a tick might solve that issue.

As to the grinder, I wouldn't think a Geisha or Tanzania roast would be dark & oily, so perhaps the grind setting is just too fine for those coffees? I'm assuming they behave the way you want when pulling a shot and taste fine.

That's my speculation on the matter, hope there's something there for you :)
  • Thanks Richard, I am getting a good pour from both coffees and although the Tanzania had an unusual flavour (to me), both were/are good, I am still using the Geisha... I had to tighten the grind on both, which made them both sit lower in the basket...

In both cases the Nino blockage occurred subsequently, it has a very small exit chute, around 3/4" wide and 1/4 high, which then passes into a removable two part stainless steel "box girder"... I expect you have seen it. It is this effect that has led me to consider this "damp roast" idea... Nether of them were dark and oily, both medium roast, Steve Leighton (HasBean) has a reputation for being pretty light on his medium roasts, Coffee Compass go a little bit the other way, their medium roasts tend to be a bit darker.

However, a tighter grind (as you suggest) could make for a denser and more difficult load for the grinder. So that may well explain the situation.
  • It could be just static.

Wet coffee puck can also happen when there are a lot of fines.

Kfir.
  • Thanks Kfir...

You appear to be suggesting the complete opposite to my conjecture.... Coffee is drier than what I and my grinder are used to, and is cracking into a greater proportion of fines than is normal for me... thus causing both the uneven dosing and the wet pucks.

That is interesting, and you might well be right. If it was more dry than is usual, it would follow that the coffee would run through the puck faster at my normal grind and need tightening, which is what I did.

...I thought that I had worked out how to make espresso work, but now I am not so sure.

Happy days. :)
  • From my experience usually darker roasts produce more fines but I guess It's also depends on the grinder.

My (amateur and unscientific) observation is that conical grinders produce more fines and you can even see them in the basket holes when using a naked PF.
    I think that this is the reason they are more forgiving in terms of grind settings than flat burr grinders.

Maybe you could try giving your grinder a good cleaning? Grindz or similar stuff does a fine job...

Kfir.
  • Out of curiosity, I found this discussion on HB:

http://www.home-barista.com/grinders/elektra-nino-chute-jamming-with-coffee-t26779-10.html

Maybe it will be of some help.

Matt
  • Matthew Hoffman post=9935 wrote: Out of curiosity, I found this discussion on HB:

http://www.home-barista.com/grinders/elektra-nino-chute-jamming-with-coffee-t26779-10.html

Maybe it will be of some help.

Matt
    I don't want to rush into anything Matt, but you may have helped muchly here!

I backed off the grind and have prepared around three doses and don't seem to have a problem now... :)

I await further confirmation, but the caffeine is still pulsing through the veins and the Geisha is too good to waste.
  • Cameron Collins post=10020 wrote: Is this the Panama geisha you refer to?

http://www.coffeecompass.co.uk/shop/panama-geisha-250g.html
    That's the very same Cam..

I thought it made a lovely drink, not really what I would usually go for, but very creamy, no bitterness no sourness, just a lovely rounded coffee.

Why do you ask?
  • Well, I went to Ireland last week, and in doing so, I passed through St. Pancras station... I noticed some "Sweetshop" coffee on a stall, I checked the roast date and it was three weeks old.

When I returned, I bought three bags of the stuff, at highly inflated prices I may add!

Anyway, I have just loaded my first bag into the Nino... And all of a sudden, I am getting excellent shots of the correct weight, which pass through the PF at a good speed.

It didn't seem to matter what I did with the coffee from Coffee Compass, which included the Geisha, an Indonesian, and the Elephant blend, I couldn't get it to deliver a full basket of powder. I might add that all of these coffees had a good flavour....

...The Elephant blend went to Ireland (pre-ground) in the Mazzer, and was very tasty in the AeroPress.

When I returned, the same coffee would not go through the Nino properly, it either blocked it, or would not grind enough coffee in the allotted time...

Whereas I get 18-20 grams of Sweetshop, I would get 12-14 grams of Elephant, in the same time.

OK, so my methods are not as painstaking as some users on here, but I keep coming back to my theory that different roasting machines do some very different things to the beans, even though they look the same on the outside. Kfir may well be right when he suggested that rather than wet, they might be drier, but colour of Sweetshop is pretty much the same as that from CoffeeCompass.

I believe that Square Mile use that Dutch drum roaster (Giesen), whereas both Coffee Compass and HasBean use Probat from what I can see.

Reiss is coy about his tools (I know, but won't divulge here), but I never had any problems with his roasts, some of which were darker than Square Mile and some of which were lighter.

BTW: I am not being critical of CoffeeCompass, I have just placed another order with them...

I am just curious about roasting methods, and the effects that these differences have on grinders!

Oh yes, finally, I might add that Sweetshop is not a consistent blend... It is usually a couple of Ethiopians, but they vary, and it is also often other things, currently a Costa Rican and a Kenyan... Nevertheless the coffee behaves consistently in the grinder and the L1 (which I haven't mentioned yet, since it is the least important bit when preparing a PF).
  • Just to add to my previous nonsense on this subject along with my recent trip to the Emerald Isle...

I found that I had developed a liking for the AeroPress with the CoffeeCompass Elephant Blend.

I remember Reiss poo-pooing the AeroPress, but I stuck with it on returning from Ireland for brewing the above CoffeeCompass offerings... I liked it, but there is nothing quite like a well made L1 shot... But guess what?

I decided to see what I could do with the Geisha and the SwissGold one cup brewer...

Reiss is always right.... when it comes to coffee... :)

The SwissGold makes a stunning cup of Geisha...

NB: I also had a shot (ground on the Mazzer) and passed through the L1, for a flat white last night and that was excellent too!