This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

Peeling Chrome Flakes

Hi All

I've noticed over the last couple of days chrome flakes appearing at the elbow of the lever cam. Am not concerned about it, but would like to tap the community on how to best deal with it and nip it in the bud before it gets worse.

Below are three photos. You can just see the peeling effect on the first two photos, which is exposed much more so under a flash on the third shot (making it look far worse than it actually is)

Any tips for best dealing with it?

Cheers

Comments

• hi gino

I'm sure its there, but i can't understand it easily from the images provided

would you mind posting some more?

kind regards

reiss
  • Thanks Reiss for your prompt reply - as always.

It's not easy capturing but below is another shot. You can see flecks of chrome on the floor of the top group with a dark patch of metal on the elbow bordered by a slope - this represents the chrome that has peeled off. These flecks represents what has come off from this morning's shots.

The third shot from my previous post probably gives you the best idea - where the dark patch represents the area of chrome that has peeled away.

Any polish/applicant I could add that protects this from wearing it further? Or really a non issue?

Cheers

• To me they look like minute marks of the manufacturing and mechanical use of the machine in a deep spot that's not part of the charismatic element. Like a beautiful photo model who has a funny wrinkle in her armpit. As long as the photographer focuses on her face and dress and not on the pores of her armpit in high contrast of very dark and overexposed lighting, she's fine especially if she also makes good coffee ;-)
  • hi gino

i can see the flakes of chrome lying there, but i can't see where they have come from

can you get us a better image of where it is falling from please?

best

reiss.
  • Thanks Franz/Reiss

Certainly no issue with espresso. One very contented user and have been from day 1. Looking to get a more domestically suitable grinder than the K10F, however.

I have played with the exposure and cropping on the photo so hopefully you can see on the elbow. It's probably about a sq cm on size which I have lost quite rapidly (not helped I suspect by me getting rid of the flakes.

If that fails I will take another photo.
  • hi gino

as far as I'm aware there is no 'treatment' for it, but definitely don't pick at it

would it be possible at the weekend for you to take a photo of it in natural daylight, i.e. no flash, as flash and chrome surfaces are not a good mix

i presume you are now seeing brass underneath the chrome?

reiss.
  • Cheers Reiss

Here is a photo. You can see a bit of a line that demarcates new chrome from old.

I have to say the flaking makes it look much worse than it actually is. It is as if a slither of shiny chrome skin has been lifted to reveal new skin. It is the same chrome colour, not brass.

Anyway I don't think it is an issue. I will keep it clean and if there is anything I should be avoiding then let me know. I did once add a couple of drops of olive oil as the cam had been clicking a bit on the downpull.

Best

• Well, that's good news as I assumed you were down to brass

I can't quite work out why it would come off there either as it isn't a working face

Anyone else?
  • Since chrome is applied in layers it is possible that a contamination between the layers happened during manufacture.

I hope someone will correct me if I am wrong but a chroming process goes like this.

Brass plate

Nickel plate

Chrome plate

, and since brass is the substrate then only nickel would need to be applied before the chrome.

The noise coming from the pulling of the lever is probably spring alignment. Mine made a bunch of noise and I corrected 90% of it. Next time I pull the top of the group I will adjust further.
  • Thanks Stephen. Interesting. How did you adjust the spring? Any special tools required? This could be my issue as well
  • a bit more peeling noted this morning. So if Steven is right looks like it is the nickel that is showing. I will let the peeling come to its natural end and then look after it from there. Looks like it will be isolated to the cam area.

Attached files

• Gino Magnotta post=9869 wrote: Thanks Stephen. Interesting. How did you adjust the spring? Any special tools required? This could be my issue as well

I head a significant rubbing noise that I never heard on my L-I so I investigated the source of the noise. With the Group head/spring cold (easier to grasp in the hand) I tried pushing the spring to a more central location up inside the Group at the base of the spring. I was not strong enough to move the spring.

When you flip the Group upside down you can see the base of the spring and where it sits against the Group housing. I noticed that it was way off center. So I took a very large, flat bladed, screw driver and put the blade down where the spring contacts the Group housing and twisted the screw driver, like turning a screw. I did NOT pry against the exposed edge of the Group where the flange/bolt holes are located. It was possible to gently move the root of the spring by twisting the tool that way.

I got close to perfect on that first try and when I am doing nothing else I will move it some more since it is still rubbing slightly.
  • Stephen. Superb tip. Didn't have a flat screwdriver big enough but the blunt end of a large serving spoon did the trick. Rubbing has gone.

After a bit of googling looks like you can't do anything with the peeling. A bit unlucky. But looks like what is now showing is nickel plating which is soft but an excellent protector of the brass. It is just limited to the cam area so I will look after it with the occasional nickel/chrome polish and paste.

Also changed my seals whilst I was at it, a task I used to dread on the old Ponte Vecchio. Such a breeze on the LI.