This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

Help - L1 Pump Not Pumping!

Hi. My L1 pump stopped working today.

Here are my observations:

There is water in the reservoir and power to the machine.
There are no disconnected or damaged wires observable inside the machine.
When I toggle the machine to ON the white lamp illuminates. No voltage is observed across the pump electrical terminals at this point.
After 5 seconds a click occurs. I assume that this is a switch closing in the control unit to start the pump.
After the click a quiet hum is heard rather than the usual (unmistakable) sound of the vibratory pump. At this time 120 Volts is measured across the pump terminals but the pump does not seem to be pumping. The fill lamp is not illuminated. (nor is the heater lamp)
If allowed to continue the machine will time out after 5 minutes and the alarm will sound.

I think that the pump packed it in and needs replacing. Anyone have other thoughts on what the cause might be?

Thanks in advance,
Doug

Comments

• Hi Doug

You're probably right

I'll get a new pump heading your way on Monday

A very good step by step set of instructions on how to fit a new pump has been provided by another customer in the permanent file

Kind regards

Reiss
  • Thanks Reiss,

I will let you know once the pump is in and espresso is once again flowing.

Cheers
  • i placed the request with the factory yesterday and it was ready for me to book out yesterday, but i was offline by then

i have booked it out just now doug - you will receive it thursday i expect

kind regards

reiss.
  • Ok thanks,

DHL says it is currently someplace in the East Midlands and that I will get it on Thursday. In the meantime I am getting reacquainted with my Hario V60.

Cheers
  • Hi Reiss,

The new pump arrived on Friday. It took all of ten minutes to change out and is working fine. As you suggested, Pete's item on pump replacement in the Permanent File was a useful reference. Thanks for the great service.

Regards
    Doug
  • Hi Doug

Thank you for reporting on the outcome, and yes I am most grateful to Peter for compiling and posting a step by step document on replacing the pump. It is particularly useful as before he started he made it quite clear that he wasn't a home handyman of any sort

Kind regards

Reiss.
  • Hi Reiss,

I sent you an e-mail about this but thought posting might be a good idea also...
    When I started my machine this morning it did not pump and the pump was running quietly. There was lots of water in the reservoir so I immediately thought that the replacement pump had crapped out after 6 months of service.
    The more I thought about that, the less likely it seemed so I removed the pump discharge hose from the solenoid to test the pump and found it to be working fine. I did note however that one of the 3 wires on the solenoid did not appear to be pushed on to the terminal as much as the other 2 wires were. Pushed the wire into place reconnected the pump hose and voila, problem solved.
    Moral of the story, use your eyes before you look for something complicated.

Cheers
  • superb doug. i love customers like you. reiss. B)